Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Intimidation

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've owned my 'egg for over a year and have decided to step-up to brisket. I plan to slow-roast an 8 pounder for some friends, but am a little scared. I've heard to plan about 2 hours/pound @ 250 degrees. Is that correct? I need to cook it for 16+ hours! Some questions - does it hold well at the lower temps? Do I need to change/replace the lump? It won't last for the entire cook time - right? Do I just add new lump or replace it? Sorry for the amateur questions, but I don't want to screw this one up.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    QBoy,
    Relax! Yep, it will take more than 16 hours probably. Up to 20 hours is possible, so plan for it. Fill up your firebox to the fire ring, and you won't need any additional lump. I usually don't open my egg at all during the cook. [p]I do mine on a second raised grate over a water filled drip pan. 250 all the way through. Make sure it has a good fat cap on it. My butcher cut me a thin piece of beef fat to lay over a bare spot on my last one (eggfest).[p]Make sure your temp is stabilized before gong to bed. I consider it stabilized when I can go 30 minutes at 250 without making any adjustments.[p]Have fun!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    QBoy,[p]Ya' know, its hard to screw up a brisket. The egg and the brisket are very forgiving. Go for it. I would plan on around 16 hours for the brisket at 200-225. You are shooting for an internal temp of 190-200, start checking about 170 or so. Don't go 100% by temp though. When you can stick a fork in the thick end and turn it easily, ITS DONE. If you fill the firebox full of lump, I really load mine up, I get 15-17 hours out of one load, never had to go past this. I have a medium egg. Others can tell you about reloading if its necessary. I would not think so at this size brisket though. I've found on my medium egg that to hold 200-225 the bottom vent is open literally only about a 1/32 of an inch, maybe less. I have about a 1/4 inch opening on the top as well (I lay a firebrick flat on the chimney and all of its covered except a small sliver). Once the temp is regulated, go about your day, check back occasionally, BUT DONT OPEN IT UP. Shut down or open vents as needed, make TINY adjustments and wait, but keep the lid closed.[p]For the meat, give it a good rub, rub it on nice and thick, and let it sit overnight. Some use a good slather of mustard first, never tried that method yet. Place it on the grate fat side up and let 'er rip.[p]For smoke, I use mesquite on brisket and lay it on THICK. I take 4-5 good size soaked chunks and just before putting on the meat I throw on the wood. It gives 3-4 hours of good smoke while the meat is somewhat cool so it really absorbs it. My preference is a lot of smoke.[p]If you want some more detail on the whole process, Dr. Chicken did a real nice writeup a month or so ago. Check the archives for a "brisket primer" or something like that. Doc may have the link for you if you holler at him. It walks you through step by step and his was great.[p]Good luck, you'll be surprised at how it goes.[p]Troy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Just so I am clear...fill the firebox to the bottom of the ring? Do you ever fill charcoal to the top of the ring?
    Thank You Sir

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Q-Girl,
    I fill the firebox full, and sometimes have gone up into the fire ring area. If you fill the firebox full up to the fire ring, it should for 20 hours easily if kept at around 250.[p]If you cook at 200-225 the lump will last longer, but the brisket will take nearly 3 hours a pound at those temps (especially over a liquid filled drip pan).[p]I have settled in on 250 as my favorite temp to cook brisket at. Hot enough to move things along quickly, but slow enough to allow all the tough stuff to break down.[p]Have fun. It'll be better than you can imagine.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    QBoy,
    Go to the archives April 6th, this year I believe and look at the "Primer for a Fantastic Chunk of Chest" I posted. This will give you particulars, cooking time, procedures and projected outcome. Yes you can very easily get a load of lump to last 16 hrs. The longest I've had one last, was 23 1/2 hrs. KOC has had a load last 26 to 28 hrs. It really can be done! If you still have questions and concerns, e-mail me & I'll get back with you![p]Good luck and I'll bet the brisket turns out super![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, Just reviewed your post, and you got all the essentials down pat..Congrats.[p]One last thing that JJ and Jslot and the rest of the old timer's taught me was to wrap it in foil the last hour at the finish temp and put it in a freezer chest wrapped in towels. The meat will finish cook in the chest, and becomes more tender. Don't overdo it tho as the meat then becomes too mushy. Half hour to 45 minutes in the chest. [p]BTW, are you the Troy that recieved the BGE for Xmas from your wife? Rings a bell somehow!![p]Good Q'n to ya!----C~W[p]
  • sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I thought I got my egg from Santa, Santa gave me the egg CW, not my wife, or is my wife Santa? NO, say it isnt so, my world is crumbling down, it doesnt make sense anymore......say it isnt so.......[p]Seriously now, thats me. I've tried to do the foil wrap once and have not had good luck with it, I think the time I tried it I left it in too long and as you say, it got mushy, I like a nice bark on the outside of the meat, this seemed to take that away. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I usually don't need/want the meat any more tender than the way it comes off of the egg so I've never really seen the need.[p]Troy - who's life is a complete wreck now, what are they going to tell me next, the Easter Bunny doesnt exist. Yeah right.
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, Now that I think about it and to re-establish your faith in the Easter Bunny and Santa, you wife did mention that it was her conversation with Santa that got the ball rolling. Yah..It was Santa! I am sure it was.
    Now my memory is coming back..Sure nuff, there was a picture posted of him on your roof top, Mr. Egg in hand!
    Enjoy!!!
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    I think CW mean to wrap in foil AFTER taking it off the egg. Right CW?? No need to wrap in foil while cooking IMO.[p]Just checkin.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have done it both ways..Either wrap the tail end of the cook, and leave it on the BGE (180-190 internal) but shut down the BGE, top cap and lower vent. Your cook is very nearly finished and you don't need the fire. The meat will finish cook in the foil on the grill, or you can wrap and let it finish in the chest. The chest method is nice where you want to use the grill for some side quick cooks.
    Or you can finish the brisket right on the grill with no wrapping. [p]All operators choice and variation of methods.[p]One other thing that I have to do is to layer the top of the brisket with thick cut bacon slices for the entire cook. Even if the brisket is ruined (laugh) the bacon slices are extra ordinary eating...
    Cherrio...C~W[p]

• sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I've actually tried it both ways and have not been satisfied with the results. The chest way wrapped in foil seemed to take away the bark on the meat, I left it wrapped too long I think. The other way I was trying to get the meat done more quickly so I took the meat off, wrapped it up and kicked up the fire a bit. Seemed to dry it out a bit. But again, both of these were screw ups on my part, not a criticism of the wrapping method. Seems like when I deviate from my norm I end up screwing something up if I'm not careful. If I'm 'sperimentin, I need to concentrate on what I'm 'sperimentin with.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I thought thats what she told me. Glad to hear it from you too. Now that things are back on track, back to Q'n. Hope your weekend is great.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, U too...Happy Moms Day!

• CaptainBBQ
    CaptainBBQ Posts: 29
    Options
    QBoy,[p]This may help....I have made two. Both seemed a little tough. I was pulling it at 175 internal temp. The guys on the web gave me some insight that was helpful. You will find that it will go to 150/160 relatively quickly. Then is just seemed to hang there...internal temp would not increase. I found that this is normal. During this period the collogen in the meat is breaking down....this is good! What I was doing is kicking up the heat to finish it off. That didn't give the brisket a chance to get reeeeal tender.[p]Good luck[p]CAPTAINBBQ