Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Vs. Medium BGE

Options
Rich
Rich Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About 95% of the time I cook for a family of 4. Should I still get the LARGE, at $100 more, or will the MEDIUM be fine? Any pros and cons of either size you could point out?[p]Thank you.

Comments

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    One Word:[p]LARGE
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Rich,
    hope this helps..........bought a med. and within 1 month I sold it and bought a large, I'd say large, no regrets.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Rich,
    large for sure, for sure

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Rich,
    Go with the large, will have no regrets. You might find a whole new batch of friends hanging around that BGE.
    I did.[p]CWM

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Rich,[p]I have a family of 4 also and went with a Large for the first egg. It's worth every penny. Go for it. You'll be very happy with it.[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    Rich,
    I'll say LARGE as well. I usually cook for just me and the wife and an occasional 1 or 2 guests...but I do give away a lot of good eats. Thus my family and friends are happy I have a large too! [p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Rich,
    If you have the $100 to spend, get the large. A couple of things that you can do on the large to think about:[p]1) We love pizza on the egg. I have a 16 inch stone which is perfect size for the large egg and allows me to cook 14 inch pies that we buy unbaked from a very good local pizza joint. You can't cook a 14 inch pie on a 14 inch stone, which is as large as you could go in the medium.[p]2) Do you ever want to roast a large turkey for a big meal? Obviously, you could get a slightly larger bird into a large than into a medium.[p]Whichever you choose, you'll be happy. I'd just say go for the large if you can swing it.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Since the votes here are unanimously for the Large, is BGE missing a bit by not offering and EVEN LARGER model? [p](I have a Large and think that's the way to go too, though I'll admit to being intrigued by the idea of a Small for portable use. Anybody have any experience?)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Rob Lewis,
    The "even larger model" should be available next month. The XL is supposed to be 24" grid, 200 pounds, and in the 900-1000 dollar range.[p]The large and small egg combination seems to be pretty popular. Lots of us have this pair. The large is good for doing a lot of meat while you do some veggies on the small. Or, if you are doing a roast which doesn't take a lot of grid space, you can roast something on the small, and do something like grilled squash on the large which does take a lot of grid space. And of course, the small is more or less portable, which is nice.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Rich,[p]I haven't read the comments below yet, but my guess is that everyone said go for the Large. Well, I would say the same. I bought a Medium b/c they were discounted at the time, but man I wish I had a large. The biggest disadvantage to having a Medium, in my opinion, is that it makes cooking large pieces of meat a challenge. Sometimes I have to get creative when trying to get large briskets to fit (I'm doing an 8 pounder today, and I had to sort of curl up the point end to make it fit), and also if you're using a temp probe in a large piece of meat and you're using an elevated/indirect setup, you'll find that you have to line the probe up just right so that it has clearance in the chimney, otherwise the dome will push it down further into the meat when you close it. [p]Don't get me wrong, you can still cook briskets, butts, ribs, turkeys, etc. on the Medium, it's would just be a lot easiet with a Large.[p]Plus, in a few months you'll forget about that extra $100 bucks.[p]TRex
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Rich,
    Although on occasion I wish I had a large, 95% of the time the medium treats me just fine. Less lump is used and the food turns out great everytime. I cook for four all the time and no one has ever gone hungry.
    I may get an extra large one of these days for large gatherings, however I would never trade my medium in! I have cooked just about everything imaginable on my medium.

[ul][li]Cooking on a medium egg[/ul]