Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
PCO3
PCO3 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was watching the Food Network the other week and they had their BBQ marathon on. One thing I noticed was one of the restaurants featured actually sears the brisket before slo n lo cooking. I thought, what the heck and gave it a try. While they need to do this to help with moisture retention because they are not using the earthen cooker such as the BGE I thought it might improve my brisket. Plus it gave me a reason to fire up the gasser. Well, I think my brisket came out more juicy. I am interested to see other's opinions.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PCO3,
    That is interesting. Not positive, but have heard from several good sources that while searing does cause a reaction that creates a unique and wonderful flavor, it does not seal in any juices. [p]I was also under the impression that searing might inhibit further smoke penetration, and would be curious what you thought of the smoke flavor that you got.[p]Trying different things is the best way to learn. Did you noticed an enhanced flavor in the crust from the sear?
    Happy freedom weekend.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    Only one problem with that. After you get the egg to nuclear temps it takes forever to get it back down.[p]You want to know a secret?[p]The key to juicy, tender brisket is time, and lots of it. I use a Guru and cook a 10 lb to 185° for about 12-14 hours at 225°. It takes time to break down the collegen. I have tried several techniques for brisket but this is the best (IMHO). [p]You can actually see the brisket hit the collegen level, set there for a long time and then break through it.

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Will let you know after BBQs tonight and tomorrow. The flavor is great but the smoke ring (pink ring) is not as prevalent.