Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You people are a BAD influence!!!

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I first learned of the BGE about six weeks ago (thanks Brian). As an internet research junkie, it didn't take long to find this forum.

It wasn't long before I was dreaming of cooking on a BGE (I'm not kidding, literally in my sleep dreams) and soon thereafter spent way more on a "grill" than I ever thought I would.

Now...thanks to your continued influence...I started looking for local butchers to cut my custom steaks. Made my first ever purchase of $11 a pound ribeyes tonight and got two 1.5 inch steaks ready for the BGE with the simple TRex style cook.

ChoiceRibEyes001.jpg

Was a little leary of cooking for just 90 seconds a side, so kept them on for two minutes a side under full heat (next time I'll go with 90 seconds as they were medium well).

ChoiceRibEyes002.jpg

After "resting" (a new word in my BGE vocabulary) for 20 minutes and adding a couple of chunks of mesquite, the ribeyes were ready for 5 minutes a side at 400.

ChoiceRibEyes004.jpg

Another simple meal with Crash Hot Potatoes. I know I need to add a few more courses to my meals, but to be honest, the meats on the BGE are so good I don't really want to load up on fillers, so just meat and potatoes are great for now.

ChoiceRibEyes005.jpg

The steaks were awesome, but I was surprised that they had shrunk to about an inch thick. I also don't think the flavor was any better than the $5 a pound Kroger ribeyes that I have used on my previous cooks.

ChoiceRibEyes007.jpg

One thing I was disappointed with the butchers I called, was that they didn't have any "dry aged" steaks. I'd really like to try some dry aged steaks to see if they do indeed have more flavor.

Any suggestion on where to look?

And as for your continued influence, I'm about to attend the Texas Eggfest...who knows where this could lead?!?!

SchmeeTex

Comments