Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hail Protection for BGE

field hand
field hand Posts: 420
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We live in the mid west and have occasional hail storms, in fact, expecting some severe weather this weekend. Does the BGE need hail protection, and if so what methods have been tried and work best?

I saw a rubberized 24" tree ring at Wal Mart that was about 1" thick, supposed to look like mulch. If the center hole were enlarged it should fit over the top vent and would soften/deflect hail falling vertically or near vertically on the dome. Was wondering if this might be an option if protection is required. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Barry
Marthasville, MO

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've never heard of one broken by hail. We've had some pretty good hunks fall here and I've (knocks wood) never experienced an issue.

I'd say it's a non-issue.
  • field hand
    Sounds good, thanks.

Barry
    Marthasville, Mo
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hmmm, never thought of that being a problem as the outer shell of the BGE has to be a VERY strong repler of pelting hail. Personally I'd run out to make sure my cars were protected before my 4 eggs! BTW I'm in Dunlap, IL but originally from Centralia, MO so where is Marthasville, MO?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks for the jinx field hand. :laugh:
    Opened the door to check out how bad the noise was causing. Got whacked in a few places.

4222010027.jpg

4222010028.jpg

Still going strong.
    Went back in the kitchen to find my beer (you've all been there...shudup!! :) ) and half the kitchen floor had hail about it... hahaha
    Glad for the moister!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • field hand
    We're about 50 miles west of St Louis city in southwest St Charles county.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • field hand
    Looks like your BGE will survive the hail, that other smoker behind it may need some dent work if the hail gets bigger. Your storm is making it's way to MO, should get the strong stuff tonight. Thanks for the reply.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's just storage area for BGE stuff. ;)
    Batten down the hatches. Rained and hailed most of the night.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    We get pounded with hail every 2-3 weeks or so. I keep (most of the time) the BGE cover over the eggs and no damage has ever been suffered. We have had truck windshields smashed but the eggs always come through just fine. I like the idea about the tree ring, though.
  • field hand
    Thanks. Glad to hear the BGE's are durable. I had a bad feeling about quarter size hail pounding down on the dome, maybe I worry too much. May still buy a tree ring for "just in case". Would hate to lose a dome when it could be prevented. Sounds like there's been no recorded incidents of domes lost to hail, a good thing.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    We had hail just last night. Even though we have never had a problem, the first thing I think is "I hope the BGE's are okay". They always are but I'm going to get the tree ring, as it's cheap and easy, just for a little more peace of mind.
    I give you fair warning: I'm going to take full credit for the idea. My wife will think I'm a smart guy. :laugh:
  • I've seen some people cover their eggs with a "rubbermaid" container instead of a cover. I'm sure that would prevent any damage if you are worried about hail.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    I guess it is that time of the year. I live in STL and can attest to some bad hail storms over the years. Good thing I roll my BGE into my shed after a cook and cools down. B)

07165058000-1?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0