Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Have With Ribs?

2»

Comments

• Pakak,
    You can buy it dryed via mail or at the store in different forms.
    In NM you buy it in the fresh food area of the super market, next to the eggs, milk, cheese etc. It comes in bags fresh with an exp. date. You will get spoiled using in the fresh form.
    I have used the dried type, however unless you have a large southwestern population in your area that consumes a fair amount of the stuff, it does tend to get old and tough (even if preserved).
    The Bush brand tend to have the closest taste to real southwest posole (maiz posolero) in a can.
    In any form it does make a good side dish.
    Pete

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    I've never seen it "fresh". One still starts with dried corn and I guess it could be old and tough before being mixed with lime. I went nosing around to see what it would take to make your own. Sounds pretty straight-forward ...
    [ul][li]Homemade Hominy/Nixtamal[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    tach18k,
    hmmm...no clue. Never heard of a grits tortilla. It would be interesting to taste the finished product. [p]~nikki
    (who is off to cook a bowl of grits for breakfast)

• Chet,[p]OK we are going OT here, but if you want to avoid the hangover you need to get ya some activated charcoal capsules at the health food store and take one or two during the downing of all the beer and wine. You would be surprised how good it works! Happy Fourth!
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Chet,
    Try the Cold Orzo Salad from Thrill Of The Grill.... delicious!