Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woosday!!!

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All

I was lucky enough to have had my camera out yesterday for a little road trip out to Sanibel, FL.

This Cape May Warbler was a nice find, he was eating the little black insects that were coating the undersides of the leaves on this Sea Grape. I am guessing the insects are a type of Aphid.
DSC_3019A_640.jpg

DSC_3018A_640.jpg

DSC_3016A_640.jpg

The Red Knots may winter as far south as Argentina and will migrate to the tundra in far northern Canada to summer and raising their young. Some of them have evolved to time their migration to the horseshoe crabs laying their eggs in the north so they have a good source of protein when they get there.
DSC_3129A_640.jpg

DSC_3117A_640.jpg

Looks like these Willet got sentry duty while the rest of the flock rests.
DSC_3084A_640.jpg

I checked to see if the endangered Snowy Plover's eggs had hatched yet and she was kind enough to show that they have not. This amazing little bird has sat on these eggs through some terrible rain storms in the past couple weeks. She has braved feral cats, raccoons and ghost crabs and still guards her eggs. Amazing.
DSC_3079A_640.jpg

This Osprey was kind enough to pose for me as I entered the parking area where I check on the Plover.
DSC_3049A_640.jpg

The Royal Terns are looking smart in their summer plumage.
DSC_3107A_640.jpg

I have probably posted this before but I have been working at identifying some of the wildflowers I photograph. I liked the name on this one, Blue Toadflax. :)
DSC_0075_640.jpg

Have a great Woosday All, I would love to see some of your photos.

Gator

Comments

• Pretty birds, but did you cook any of em? :)

-John
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Lawn Ranger

Gator

• Gator Bait

Thanks John, I'm afraid not. They are migrating and there isn't much meat on them. That and the fines for touching any of them makes the meat counter at the supermarket much more appealing. :lol:

Gator

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Gator,

Dang-it man. You and that camera got it goin on. ;)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Blair these are some of the best shots I've seen FELICIDADES!!
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Adam, I'm delighted you like the photos. Like you, I love nature and the outdoors and the opportunity to share.

Have a great day,

Gator

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    nice picks. do they rope off the plover sites like they do up here. they wont let you even near the nests when they are on them, not sure what ours are, maybe piping plovers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait

Glad you like them my friend. I would love to get my camera to your neck of the woods someday, you have a beautiful location there.

Gator

• Ripnem
    Gator,

Ya man! We both love shootin birds. :evil:
  • Gator Bait

Hi Fishlessman

Thanks. Yes, they do rope them off and the Plover seams pretty secure within that area. She doesn't show any nervousness when I photograph her. I am very careful to respect her space. Yes, the Piping Plovers are up your way, further north then the Snowy. They are both scarce, they estimate that there may only be a couple thousand Piping Plovers remaining, a good reason to protect them so strictly.

Gator

• fishlessman
    they are a funny bird, they seem to nest where the people seem to traffic the most. we have a family beach house in maine and they nest pretty much in the open, a mile or so out is a good size uninhabited island and you will never see them there
    fukahwee maine

• Ripnem
    Not even close to the quality of pic :( but boy o boy was that a nice walk through an abandoned farmstead in ND. As we drove up to it, and came to the crest of a hill, about 1/3 of a mile from the farmstead, we stopped. Seconds later, hundreds and hundreds of Pheasants BOLTED on us. It went on for a few minutes. :pinch:

I'm just glad we decided to go looking for the 'sleepers' :evil:

You shoulda seen the dogs, with all that scent, it was a riot.
    0449f4d5.jpg
  • Gator Bait

LOL, You got that right, I wish mine were as good to eat as yours, they wouldn't feel so safe. :woohoo:

I'm all for hunting, the hunters have done a great job of helping to protect the natural environments. Just look at Ducks Unlimited, a great organization. The game species are a renewable resource, I wish someone in my family had been into hunting so I would have learned it. I used to fish a lot, no difference.

Gator

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Anytime mi amigo
  • Gator Bait

That is strange, I think it goes to show that man and Plover have the same taste in beaches. If I was still summering on the coast of Maine I would take the secluded island life. I lived on Mount Desert Island for a number of years but that wasn't secluded by any means. :huh:

You actualy found a beach in Maine? With real sand? Now that's rare! No wonder you share it with the Plovers. :lol:

Gator

• Gator Bait

Great photo Adam, it makes me cold to look at but I love it. I would have loved to have witnessed that, both the number of Pheasants and the dogs going nuts. I used to have Labrador Retrievers and can just picture it. It's to hot down here for Labs, I decided it was cruel to subject them to our summer heat where they aren't allowed on the beaches. :(

Gator

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    really nice shots Gator.
  • fishlessman
    my grandfather bought a nice somewhat secluded piece in biddeford pools back in the fifties, nice and sandy :)bought it for what the taxes are now, it wont be long before we lose it, takes all the four kids and their families plus a little paying rent to keep it :ermm: :pinch:
    fukahwee maine

• Gator Bait

Thanks Cpt'n, being able to share them is half the fun. :)

Gator

• Gator Bait

I bet it was a Paradise when your Grandfather first bought it. I hope your family gets to hang on to it for many years to come. I have watched many great areas up that way become to popular. That is one reason I don't get back up there, I'd hate to see the change. I spent all my summers growing up on the beaches of Duxbury, MA. and the area, back then it was a Paradise also, today I would hate to see the change. For now my memories are pristine and I like to keep them that way. The same "progress" has been going on down here as well for a long time. The sleepy little coastal towns of southwest Florida have almost all been replaced by sprawl. I can't blame people if they like the same areas that I do but I regret the change. Good luck hanging on to the property in Biddeford, that is beautiful country. I lived up the road in North Yarmouth for a number of years and really miss the fishing up that way.

Have a great day,

Gator

• let me know if you need any more help this year. ;)
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Beautiful shots, Gator. It's like opening the pages of National Geo magazine. :~)

Here are a few from around the garden. The first one is the only recent bird shot on file.... red winged blackbird over the river birches.

IMG_0865.jpg

Another angle of the birches.

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Clouds over Nature Boy's house.

IMG_0616.jpg

Sunrise.

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

First cut asparagus with tarragon.... was sauteed with butter.... delicious!

IMG_0720.jpg

Happy WoosDay!

john
  • fishlessman
    check your email, pickings are slim but there may be something. i had a question for you as well
    fukahwee maine

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Here are a few shots of Dizzy Pig's first comp of the year in Salisbury, Maryland. The weather was perfect and we had a blast.

Here's Lard, Max, Nature Boy and Andy hanging before the real work begins.

IMG_0907.jpg

Chris showing off the plans for the new Dizzy Pig headquarters.

IMG_0898.jpg

Brian seasoning mounds of meat.

IMG_0910.jpg

Chuck and Brian goofing with butt.

IMG_0912.jpg

Sniff test.

IMG_0928.jpg

Ribs!

IMG_0934.jpg

Lard torquing on a rib.

IMG_0942.jpg

The obligatory shot of Chuck napping after turn-ins.

IMG_0948.jpg

He may be a Goob.... but he's OUR Goob! LOL

IMG_0953.jpg

john
  • Gator Bait

Thanks John, I wish National Geo would pick up the tab. :laugh:

Your shots are great as always. I love the Birches, it has been many, many years since I saw a Birch Tree. I think I am to far south, and to think I used to love to cut them for fire wood.

I love the flower pictures. I am guessing the little blue ones are Bluets .

Your Sunrise and clouds are beautiful, we will get our best clouds when the rainy season starts. A normal winter down here (not like this one) we can go for months with out seeing a cloud. Then when the rainy season gets here they can be spectacular.

Your still life of asparagus with tarragon is great. It makes me wish I liked asparagus. :laugh:

Thanks for sharing you photos, I hope more people will.

A Happy Woosday to you also,

Gator

• Gator Bait

Great shots John, Looks like a great time! Man, those ribs are making me hungry. Must be time to go find some lunch. :cheer:

Thanks for sharing,

Gator

• Here are some from a few weeks ago you might enjoy from Augusta.

Mastersmap1049.jpg

Mastersmap1050.jpg

Mastersmap1094.jpg

Mastersmap1038.jpg
  • Gator Bait

Gorgeous photos Tom, I can see why people like to play there. Thanks for sharing.

Gator

• Gator,

I caught the photo bug last year and have been having alot of fun with it.

Thanks