Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Magazine Article

Options
Fisheyes
Fisheyes Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Check it out. This is me in Toyota Connections Magazine. It was a lot of fun doing the article. I cooked for the magazine crew at a Miami Dolphins Tailgate party. We got a lot of attention from people walking by and everyone loved the tailgate rack. It's just too bad that BGE made us return it.

Link: LINK to the Article

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good Job Brad. One of the better articles on the Egg I have read. Maybe I will have to go get me one of those things. ;)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Nice.

Does hanging the weight of the Egg off the back of the Toyota slow it down during sudden acceleration? :evil:

-John
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    great article - thanks!

Sent it to a friend considering an Egg, but concerned about transporting for college tailgating.
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    I gotta tell you, I was very nervous about carrying the Egg like that. It seemed to bounce a lot! It also leaned a lot. However, I got used to it and stopped looking in the rear view mirror...eventually.

We have taken the Egg to games before. We just take it out of the Nest and put it in the back corner of the truck bed. We strap it down and take all of the pieces out. On this particular trip, we forgot to remove the pieces, but nothing broke.

The tailgate rack that we used was a prototype from BGE. We had a few suggestions for BGE and maybe they will implement them. Either way, it was very well built and a great design! I hope that they'll send me a freebie...as a thanks for the advertising. ;)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Fisheyes,

That is pretty cool. I travel with my Egg a lot, and this method would free up a lot of space in the truck. Hope they start selling that as a standard product. I'd buy one.

-John
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Great article.

Spring "Spread'n The Word" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    John,

Do you do anything special when transporting your egg (large?) in a truck?
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    We take out the firebox and fire ring and put them in a cardboard box or something else. Then, we stand the Egg up in the corner and strap it in. We use lots of straps and get it in there really tight. You'll need to put some kind of block between the bottom of the Egg and the truck bed. Otherwise, it can slide and tip over.

I have seen a guy who used wood to build a base for the Egg to sit in, while in the truck. That kept it from moving around. He still strapped it in, but the square wood base kept the bottom of the Egg from sliding.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks. I have a potential new egger who is interested in taking a large tailgating. Have already told him about the "potlifter" to move the egg around.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Very good article, and neat that it was somewhat about you.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nice article! What moniker does Brad McCall use here?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Ooooh, I would Love to take Eggbert tailgating! Just haven't had the stones to try. Go Hawkeyes!
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    That's me...Fisheyes. I'm not posting on here often, but I do get some great ideas here.