Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Have With Ribs?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our brisket, ribs, and pulled pork wingdings usually all wind up having the same menu of, tater salad, baked beans, cucumber-mater-onion w/oil & vinegar, and rolls. This is gettin kinda old so I'm a thinkin bout maybe plain ole white bean or navy beans, slaw, and corn on the cobbie. What do ya'll usually pair up with ribs?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Jalapeno corn casserole is always a hit and super easy to make.[p]Jim
  • Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    Chet,
    How about an oil/vinegar/sugar dressing with slaw. Add toasted almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and ramen noodles (not the seasoning package). The nuts provide a crunch that everyone enjoys and it is a nice change.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Chet,
    These are good in the summer when you can get home grown tomatoes.
    Larry

[ul][li]Kaye's Stuffed Tomatoes[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Larry, we have got a huge crop of maters just comin on and lookin good...I will give this a try, but proly Sat fer just usuns cause they's gonna be too many them other'ens on Sunday.

• Unknown
    Options
    Peanut, thanks, My wife's aunt has gone crazy over something that sounds a lot like this...she gave us the recipe and it's got stuff like ramen noodles, cashews, brocoli slaw (sp ck), can't remember the rest but it was real crunchy and a hit with everybody on several occassions so, maybe...

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks Mr Slot, I was just about to ask if you could kindly provide a recipe on that but did a search and it was the first one in the list...anything jalapeno is going to be a hit with me, the thing is though, I can't stands the tought of preparing a dish with em in there and not put a whole bunch of em...I'm the guy that uses same amount of fresh jalapenos as I do tomotillios to make salsa verde and the fire eaten Mexicans just shake there head...

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Chet,
    Garlic mashed potates and blackberry pie

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k, you know whut...I'd absolutely kill fer me one a my Grandma's blackberry cobblers...thanx

• tach18k
    Options
    Chet, artchokes do well also, when you can find them

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Chet,
    These go good with ribs and are simple to make.
    Larry[p]
    Tomatoes,bacon and cheese make up this yummy pie.
    1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
    3 medium,ripe tomatoes,sliced
    6 strips bacon,fried and crumbled
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    Bake frozen pie shell following package directions.Preheat egg to 350 degrees.Place tomatoes in bottom of pie shell;top with crumbled bacon.Combine cheese,salt,pepper and mayonnaise;pour over tomatoes.Bake 35 to 40 minutes on a raised grid using a Ceramic Deep Baking Dish[p]

[ul][li]Tomatoe Pies[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Chet,
    I like "Thrown Together Stir Fry". Combine fresh corn (cut off the cob) with tomatoes and any/all other fresh produce (bell peppers, jalapenos, zucchini and/or patty pan, onion, etc.) Except for corn and maters, it's all just the freshest produce of the summer. (And they should be too!)[p]Ken

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I prefer baked beans, and I chop up the trimmed and cooked part of the ribs and add them to the beans. Plus home made cole slaw (with a vinegar based dressing, because mayonaise is nasty) and collard greens (Glory brand is the best I've tried).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chet,
    I travel out west a few times per year; some restaurants serve a dish called “Posole” which is made with hominy instead of beans.[p]I just made some two weekends ago, because we have the same problem with the routine, and it turned out great.[p]Sorry for the lack of precise measurements
    One big onion
    ¼ bell pepper
    1-2 Spanish sausage’s (chorizo), these are not/hot spicy (Portuguese or Mexican will work). Cut in small round pieces
    Two cans of Bush’s hominy[p]Red chilly sauce
    One dried ancho chilly, make sure is not hot (or chilly powder, a couple of tablespoons), the ancho chilly is better, remove seeds and veins.
    Garlic, a good amount, or to your taste
    Dried oregano
    Beef stock or concentrated stock (if using canned stock use it place of water to soak ancho chilly, and omit the concentrate)
    Salt
    Pepper[p]Make red chilly sauce in a blender
    Soak ancho chilly in hot stock/water till tender
    Place in blender with some of the stock/water, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper (stock concentrate if using water) and blend into it thickens.[p]Sauté onions and pepper
    Add sausage and sauté for a few minutes
    Add chilly sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
    Add hominy and simmer for about 30min to an hour.
    Add hot sauce if you want it hotter.[p]It should have the consistency of stew when you are done.
    This dish has a distinct flavor, like Mexican corn tortillas.[p]If you try it, I think you will like it, and you will have another dish for your repertoire.[p]Enjoy
    Pete[p]

• Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    Chet,
    Cashews and broccoli? Hmmm........our recipe is alot more simple in ingredients.

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    Chet,
    We're kind of odd down here and we usually pair our ribs up with beer. Or maybe a tanq and tonic if we're feeling kind of hoitsy.
    RE

• Unknown
    Options
    randomegger,[p]I was waiting for someone to mention the beer! Duh! At my house it's usually a good zinfindel or cabernet with the ribs, the beers during the cooking. :)
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Chet,
    Howz about baked garlic cheese grits and fresh corn on the cob with coca-cola cake for dessert?? I've been hungry for some good ribs, but haven't had the money to fork out for some. I just might have to splurge and go buy me some now with everyone talkin about them.[p]~nikki

• Unknown
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, I like that collard ider but I'm afraid if'n I did that I would make my brand "Glorious" by finding me some fresh one...just a fresher is better kinda guy...

• Unknown
    Options
    Gotcha beat on that on Pedro, I live in the 2nd most Hispanic populated area in Ga and Ga has the distinct honor of being the fastest growing Hispanic area in the south. I fix it both red and green... real authentic Mexican cuisine is my favorite right after BBQ outta the BGE. The green is made green with what else "greens" and includes ground pumpkin seeds to make it thick. We use chicken in that one. Either one though gets dried hominy that has to be cooked separate and makes hominy that blows up like a flower and for a better presentation you are spose to cut out that little kernel thang in the middle. You got me started...we're having BBQ...I gotta forget about this Mexi stuff now

• Unknown
    Options
    randomegger, beer definitely works fer me, my fav there is that old skunk beer , I call it that cause when you first get it up under your nose that's what is smells a little bit like. Anyhow I don't mind skunk...and the beer's good , you know that kind in the green bottle from Holland (Imported) what is it ...Hindycans or sumpin...PBR works too

• Unknown
    Options
    nikkig, I just have this urge to respond to every post and I just want to say on grits ...that it's the absolute most left out side of all...grits are great...the old cajun guy on PBS "How ya'll are, I'm proud for you to see me, I guarontee" has a great method on them.

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaGal, well now that's a good point and nothin like being specific...everybody wants this Sunday to be perfect right...and your idear might just help out a lot...too much wined too soon spelled one helluva headache...

• Unknown
    Options
    BlueSmoke, what comes to mind there is what we do sometimes when the veggies are real fresh...pot of fresh grn beans, and then start mixing stuff in a bowl with them grn beans, vidalia onions what's been marinated in wine vinegar, fresh corn on the cob what's been cut off the cob and just mix it up and we call it vegetable medoly or something like that.

• randomegger
    Options
    Chet,
    I kind of like something smoother... Maybe a few Fat Tires.[p]But, hey, let's be honest - the criteria is anything as along as it's cold and preferably bought by someone else.[p]RE

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Chet,
    If ya want the recipe, let me know and I'll pound it out. I'm gonna be makin some for our gathering Sunday. I didn't wanna spend the time typing it out if you don't like grits. They are one of those things that you love em or hate em...and I love em![p]~nikki

• randomegger
    Options
    FlaGal,
    Actually, that's pretty much the way it works at our place. Cab or merlot, generally, during dinner. We skip the fancy wine glasses though...
    RE

• Unknown
    Options
    Chet,
    Well darn, wish I had the luxury!.
    Can only get the real stuff when I bring it back from NM.
    At least you don't have to get stuck on beans all the time.
    Pete

• tach18k
    Options
    nikkig, speaking of grits..
    I currently have a custome in my building test cooking grits. He is in the process of making these into some type of tortilla. We manufacture tortilla and tortilla chip process equipment. It sure smells good right now. These grit tortilla are very thick. Any idea what he might be after?

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Look online. There are a number of places where you can buy the dried posole. Here's a link to the cheapest place I saw (though I didn't look at shipping costs). The canned stuff just isn't the same, IMO.
    [ul][li]Posole Online[/ul]
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Chet,[p]I've never cooked fresh collard greens. Do you have a recipe?