Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taming ABT's Question

Ohio Boy in DC
Ohio Boy in DC Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally made up some ABT's...cooked up some sweet italian sausage, cream cheese and wrapped bacon.[p]Cleaned up everything nice and shiny, took out the seeds and ribs...but the things were still too hot for the wife...[p]Any suggestions on taming them a bit, or is she out of luck![p]Happy cooking?

Comments

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Yeah, that's always the way isn't it. My daughter-in-law thinks they are too hot also. In fact when you take the seeds and ribs out they are really very mild. Of course she thinks refried beans are too hot also. Just no pleasin' some folks. Look at it this way, more for you!!!
  • EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    My wife has the same problem with ABT'S. I just made some with left over brisket last night. If you will roast the pepper skins before filling and wrapping that will make the pepper even milder. Hope this helps. I have a link to preparing the ABT'S on my site with prep pictures and all. Happy Q'ing.

• emjazz1
    emjazz1 Posts: 7
    Ohio Boy in DC, seems like I need to cook my ABT's until the pepper is soft. Then both my wife and I, who have a "sensitive" digestive tract from top to bottom, are able to really enjoy them without any burn anywhere. We usually eat about 8 halves each with no effect. Hope this works for you!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Ohio Boy in DC,
    If you're into growing your own, you might try the link below. The Chile Pepper Institute has developed several varieties of jalapeno, one of which, NuMex Primavera, is supposed to be mild.[p]Otherwise, there are mild peppers about the same size and shape in the "specialty produce" section of many supermarkets.[p]And as a last resort, you might want to consider stuffing sweet cherry peppers.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Chile Pepper Institute[/ul]
  • ChefDBA
    ChefDBA Posts: 20
    StubbyQ,
    I'm sure everyone knows at least one person that will sit around proclaiming "This sure is some spicy Ice Cream"