Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter or pizza stone for low and slow?

Options
SmokingLong
SmokingLong Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have thoughts on the pros and cons of using the plate setter vs. a 13" pizza stone (for a large) for smoking pork butts? I just start a smoke of two 8 lb butts for tonight's dinner (plus extra!) and used my pizza stone mainly because is was already out.

Also what are people's favorite vessel of a drip pan? I am using some rectangular disposable aluminum pans. But because of the shape I am sure some of the dripping will fall on the stone/fire. I wondering if I should invest in a circular drip pan.

Comments

• BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    Options
    I'll use the pizza stone with my adjustable rig if I'm cooking on multiple levels. The stone allows for space for the rig. Simply set the drip pan on the stone (I use a spyder to hold the stone). For drip pans I use the disposable aluminum half steam pans from Sams. If I'm cooking on one level (like the briskett I just pulled) the platesetter is my go to piece.

Cest bon!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I use the pizza stone and a double/triple layer of foil to make a drip pan the same size and shape as the pizza stone. You have to be a little careful removing it, and make the side walls high enough to hold all the drippings, but it works well.

It is a better solution for brisket and ribs than for butts since they render so much, but it is a simple solution for me and I don't have to stock any drip pans.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I use either one, like you, mostly depending which one is out. I have the WooIII from CGS along with the 13" stone and round drip pan, all sold as a package. I wrap the drip pan in a piece of x-tra wide foil for easy clean-up and use it with both the platesetter and stone.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I use the plate setter, but most any barrier for the heat should work just fine. Some folk have even said foil works, but I like something a bit more substantial.