Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie

Options
KenEgg
KenEgg Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

Bought and successfully assembled a large egg today. Fired it up no problem and enjoyed a wonderful burger. However, I somehow managed to melt the felt gasket. What went wrong?

Thanks, Ken

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    hahahaha. Welcome to the club. Folks say that you need to cook a few low heat cooks for the gasket to seal properly. I fried mine early on too.

Not to worry. I have cooked for a long time without a gasket and it doesn't make any difference in your cook. Some people replace them. I don't.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Melt the gasket? Did you check the clearances between the dome and the base all the way around? Try sliding a dollar bill between the dome and the base, you should have resistance when pulling it out in all areas.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Fairly new myself but I seem to remember the sales people and forum members suggesting several low temp cooks before taking it on a high temp ride for the very reason you discovered.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your gasket. There are several reasons a gasket will melt. Without knowing the steps you took to light and how you handled the egg & temperatures it is hard to tell.

However, a while back there were a batch of eggs that had problem gaskets installed on their eggs. Most of these problem gaskets have been discovered and takenc care of by now. It is possibly your egg was one in that run.

Call your dealer and they should be able to take care of it under warranty. If not make a phone call to BGE Service, explain the circumstances and ask for help.

If possible get the high temperature Nomex Gasket for the repair.

Some will say don't worry about the gasket, however, I am in the 'I like gaskets' camp.

GG
  • KenEgg
    KenEgg Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! Live and learn.

-Ken
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    I am really sorry your first post was about a crispy gasket. But hang in there the cooks just keep getting better.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    I did five slow cooks on my XL first, and the gasket is still good after several hi-temp cooks. The Forum ;) old timers told me this when I bought the egg. Hang in there, never get discouraged, and the more you cook, the more you'll enjoy it.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Ken, welcome to the forum. :) Sorry about your gasket.

Many say gaskets are overrated. I fried my gasket several months ago and am doing OK without the thing. When I get around to it I'll eventually replace the the gasket.

Can't wait to see pics of your cooks.