Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron skillet for MED BGE?

Sawbones
Sawbones Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I find a cast iron skillet to fit on a Medium BGE?

Has anyone made one of these by cutting off a handle? IF so what size is best?

thanks

Comments

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    i had a 10in. and cut off handle, saw a 12in. at walmart on sale and bought and cut handle off. works fine. used both depends on how much im cooking.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    An 8" CI skillet will fit on the Medium Egg without cutting off the handle. Also consider getting a Dutch Oven. It is basically a high sided skillet with a lid. a 7qt(12") D.O. would fit on the Medium.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09364a.jpg

DSC08119a.jpg

Skillets come in all sizes and as you have noticed, the handle takes up a lot of valuable space on an Egg. The handle can be cut off with a hacksaw or a grinder, but this makes removing a little tougher. Many folks will leave a 1" nub to have something to hold onto.... with welding gloves of course.

Depending on what you want to use the skillet for, you might opt for a griddle with a bail, (most of mine are way old, but they can be purchased on e-bay) or check out Lodge griddles (which are square, see the last picture). The lodge ones are reversable, smooth on one side and ribbed on the other. BTW, the old ones are easily restored, and the quality of 60+ year old cast iron is better than it is today.

The picture of the griddle with the steak is a 12" diameter one and will fit in my small Egg. I also use it as a heat shield for indirect cooks.

DSC08598a.jpg

DSC08605a.jpg

DSC04886g.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bacchus
    thirdeye, I love the wire bail handled griddle. I'm going to search ebay now. Thanks!
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I've done that with both n 8 in. and a 10 in. lodge cast iron skillet. Both will work on the Medium, but I usually use the 8 in. Very easy to do with a hacksaw, then polish a little with a dremel or something. Put a little oil on the new surface and cook away. Here's a photo of one of them in action.

IMG_5949.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    CopyofDSC08113a.jpg

The two most popular names to search for would be Griswold and Wagner.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bacchus
    The 8" would have fit the Med without removing the handle.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I hope I'm not to late with this reply, Been out of town.
    Lodge makes a 5qt "Double Dutch Oven and Cassarole Skillet." The lid has two small handles that match up with the bottom. The inside of the skillett measures 91/2 in. and the outside to the edge of the handles is 12 3/4in.

I love mine. :)

Capt Frank,
    Homosassa, FL
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Yes it would, but actually I think I got 10 and 12 inchers??? Anyway, it was fun cutting off the handles :laugh: