Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electricity monitor

Rick in Crystal Lake
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Anyone have experience or knowledge of this product. I am looking for a way to monitor my household power useage. Thanks.. :)

http://www.bluelineinnovations.com/Products/

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I can't help - but I know there are several egger electricians and electrical engineers over on the regular board. It might be worth getting yelled at a time or two of politely posting a brief OT: message asking if knowledgeable people would come over to this off Topic board and answer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey Rick

I know nothing about such monitors but out of curiosity I went to our power companies web page (Florida Power & Light) to see if the offered anything of the kind.
    Here is where I ended up. They offer the Blue Line model as well as two others. The one by Black & Decker is too similar for coincidence in my opinion and cost a little less. I am not promoting either brand but just suggesting that you check with your power company, if you haven't already to see what they have to offer.

I can't help wonder if there isn't a more practical way to utilize the information that you already have at your meter with out spending $100+ to get the same information. I don't know, I am single and live in a small mobile home and can list what is drawing electricity at any given time so I have never felt the need for such a monitor. I wish you luck.

Gator

• Thanks for your info. yea, I checked with my power provider and they don't offer anything like this. They do however want you you enroll in a power managing program that involves them installing a monitor at the meter that they can remotely read and in the future control. No thanks.. I can get kWh info from the meter now by reading it each day. But, every month I get an energy useage report from my supplier that rates my consumption to other "similar" homes in my area and I continually to use more that any others compared to?? I called twice so far to find out what homes in my area that I am being compared to, each time they say they will get back to be in no more that two hours with that information. I has not happed yet. It's just my wife and me and we sure don't hanve any out of the ordinary appliances nor do we leave lights on at night. Anyway, I'll keep trying to get the information on who they are comparing me to and in the mean time I need to get a very good handle on what I am using and when. This, I am sure, is just the begining of what is yet to come..
    Thanks again. Sorry for the rant!!
    Rick
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Rick

I understand the rant and don't blame you a bit. Good luck with the power company, sounds like a monitor might be a good idea.

Gator

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'm a double-E, but I don't know what I'd do with something like this. You'd do just as well using device nameplate ratings and doing a quick calculation to see what you'd save by switching from Device A to Device B per hour of use. Just get your seasonal rates from the utility company and do it that way.