Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does (Egg) Size Matter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all who responded to my first post - the collective
"You"/Forum and the dealer have convinced me that I "need" the BGE. Now I have to choose the size!?!. I don't entertain a lot and have 5 of us to cook for. I don't think I need the large, but want to make sure I don't limit my Q options as described in the Forum.[p]Specifically, whichever size I buy, I want to be able to indirect cook with a drip pan,fire bricks and a second grate and also with a (pizza) stone. (Like that salmon recipe)[p]Can I use the medium (or small) to cook indirect in this fashion?? [p]Could someone please confirm that they have done these things with good results with the medium and/or small and been able to purchase the fire bricks, second grate, and drip pan that fit? And a cooing stone?[p]Thanks in advance. Once I get this info, I can take the plunge, and join the Egg Cult. (Hope my parents don't find out and send someone to de-program me).[p]Look forward to your responses and future education on the Forum.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    David Daniel,
    Howdy! Gfw has a medium, and does all the indirect stuff and pizza as well. Go for the large and you will not regret. I started off with a medium, and traded it in after 25 days for a large. More flexibility, and when you entertain, you will really need the space.
    Good luck with your purchase!! And welcome to the family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    David Daniel,[p]Go for the large!! You claim that you don't entertain much, but that is all about to change. Your family will start making more frequent visits and your neighbors will become very friendly very soon. The large Egg will provide the most versatility for the kind of cooking your've mentioned as well as room for firebricks, drip pans etc. [p]K~G
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    David Daniel,[p]Gotta tell ya David, I have a medium egg and was TEMPTED to trade up to the large but have not done so and have never regreted it. I know that the others have said to go with the large and their points are well taken. However, I have had the medium and have NEVER found anything that I've not been able to cook on it. The large would be nice for a group but for the size group that I would cook for, I would need 3 large eggs to keep from having to do multiple batches of what I'm cooking. I would be able to ge a few more burgers on the grill or a couple more steaks on the grill, thats not enough of a difference for me. For as quickly as steaks and burgers go on that thing, waiting a few more minutes for another batch of burgers isnt going to make that much difference in the party atmosphere and its kind of fun to impress the guests with your egging capabilities.[p]Now, that being said, had I actually contemplated getting an egg, as you are, I would have gone through the same questioning. I got mine from Santa and did not have to make the decision. I got the medium and THANK YOU SANTA. BUT, I can honestly say that I've never regreted having the medium at all and have cooked everything that I want to. I cook for 2.5 by the way, us parents and 2 kids (they are young, 3 years and 8 months). I've done an 11 pound brisket on it, 3 racks of ribs, butts (generally do 2 of them at a time), cook pizzas and calzones on it, you name it.[p]Just two pennies from a medium owner.[p]Troy
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    David Daniel,[p]Get the large. I cook for three and the small is okay for that, but if you want to do pizza and other baked goods like bread and pies you will want the large. The large also gives you more room for something other than the main dish to be smoked when you cook.[p]I gurantee if you buy the small you will buy the large later (we did). We are glad we have both.[p]Fritz
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    David Daniel,
    Sprinter's points are well taken but I do think that the large gives you that little extra bit of flexibility in terms of the amount of food you can cook and the toys you use in the Egg. Yes, you can cook anything on a medium and it will be good but for the extra $120, it's well worth it.
    JimW

• Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    sprinter, I have a Medium BGE, also, and was intrigued by the QUANTITIES you list...how in the world do you fit 2 butts or 3 racks of ribs into the medium egg??? Tell me your secrets!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_02_9914_35_11.jpg
    <p />David Daniel, I have a medium and have had great results - check out the link - with that said, buy the large - I only cook for 2 and there have been many time when I wished that I had large.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]its not difficult to do. I have a rib rack that allows me to adjust the "V" if you will. I place the V as steep as it will go, put one rack inside the V and lean the other two on the outsides of the V. Pretty simple. On the butts, they are generally not HUGE butts, in the 5-6 pound range, and I do my indirect setup with firebricks supporting my second grate. The butts fit right in the middle of the egg, occasionally if they are big enough they touch the outer side a bit, no biggie as they shrink during cooking and by the end they are both fine. For bigger butts I can only cook one but I like the bark on the smaller butts, they get crispier whereas the larger ones tend to have more of the soft inner meat. Both good but I like the bark and do smaller butts as a result.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota, Good to see ya Patrick, welcome back! Ya been away far too long.
    C~W

• Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    Char-Woody, Yeah, I was hibernating for a while...quite common in these northern parts.:)

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    David Daniel,
    Had that question asked twice today! I bought a Large last year when I got started. I've cooked everything up and including a 17 lb turkey. My humble recomendation would be to invest in a large and, like me, 'graduate' to a smaller one which I plan to do in the near future.
    My buddy, ****, bought a medium and now wishes he had gone for the big Humpty. What ever you invest in will be the right thing so, good luck

• Unknown
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]Just curious, what part of 10,000 lakes do you live. I just picked up a BGE (large one). I live in Maple Grove.[p]Todd