Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye steaks & potatoes...WOW!!!

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay...so I'm only two weeks old with the BGE. You've got to crawl before you walk...and walk before you run. So, I'm keeping it simple for now, but I just cooked some of the best steaks of my life!

After much research, I decided to put my $9 a pound "angus" ribeyes in the hands of TRex.

I liked the simple olive oil, salt and pepper preparation. Here's the recipe. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Nice cut of meat...although they were only 1.25" thick. We enjoyed an appetizer of 2005 fermented red grapes (in the background)!

ribeyesteakpotatoes001-1.jpg

Got the egg to "lava" hot (above 700 degrees) and seared the steaks for 90 seconds on each side.

ribeyesteakpotatoes003.jpg

I then let the steaks "rest" for 25 minutes...something I'd never done before...but all the pros on this forum recommend. I also added two chunks of Mesquite wood to the fire and brought the temp down to 400 and then cooked for 5 minutes on each side. Here's where I got lucky...got a perfect "square" sear on the steaks. Wasn't trying for this...but man was I proud! What's the old saying...rather be lucky than good!

ribeyesteakpotatoes006.jpg

Only a half glass of Beringer Cab left by this time, but just enough to complete a simple meal of steak and potatoes.

ribeyesteakpotatoes007.jpg

My wife said "this is the best steak I've had in a long time." Nice and juicy...and we loved the slight taste of mesquite.

ribeyesteakpotatoes009.jpg

Did I forget to say that I love my Big Green Egg! I'll work on more exotic cooks in the future, but for now, I'm loving the simple moist charcoal flavoring of the BGE.

And thanks, TRex...you've got another disciple!

SchmeeTex

Comments