Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks everyone from Big'un!

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang! I've gotta make this short so I can get back in bed. First THANKS for all of your prayers and good thoughts.
I have acute pancreatitus(not really cute at all), and they don't know why. So far, all of their theories haven't proven correct. I'm goimg in tomorrow up in Marietta to be approved for an internal sonogram(only two docs in Ga can do this). Currently I'm in a lot of pain, and the pain meds don't do much. Even morphine was a joke.
I just want to let you know how much all of the thoughts and cards and calls mean to my family and me. It's times like this when you find out who really cares about you, and I am really blessed to have so many good friends in my life. I'll keep you posted as I can, but I'm a pretty private person. Some of these outcomes aren't always for the best, although Im hoping for mine to be an exception. Thanks again for thinking of us. Please keep us in your prayers and good thoughts
BTW, I'm on a liquid only diet, I could use some suggestions for real, no alchohol. Thanks

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Wishing you the best of luck Big'un. Sorry to hear of your condition, I've been out of the loop so didn't know what the problem was.

My Best to you and yours,
    Bordello
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Glad things are starting to improve. Hope the testing speeds up your recovery. Panchreatitis is very painful
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Big Guy!

I searched all my old posts for the post about the broth
    last night and couldn't find it. I'll try again tonight. Take care man!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    We(The Nixons)are with you in spirit Todd. Hang in there big guy. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mark, Thea & Steven
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    We have been thinking of you are your family. Good luck tomorrow! ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Might this be the one??

Soup, Turkey, Rich, Little Steven

I make this stock before thanksgiving and use it for stuffing and as a base for gravy. The quantities are proportional so you can reduce if desired. It is a great turkey soup base as well. Its also good for turkey and white bean chili.

INGREDIENTS:
    8 turkey wings
    1 Lines bunch parsley stems
    10 turkey necks
    1 bunch sage stems
    4 turkey backs
    6 rosemary stalks
    4 turkey drumsticks
    6 thyme stalks
    1/4 Cup Parsley, Fresh, Chopped
    1/4 Cup Sage Leaves, Chopped
    1 bottle white wine
    Basic Mirepoix:
    3 Cups Onions, 1/4 inch Dice
    1 1/2 Cups Celery, 1/4 Inch Dice
    1 1/2 Cups Carrots, 1/4 Inch dice

Preparation Directions:
    1 Roast turkey parts in a flat pan, preferrably on the egg until light golden. Add mirepoix of onions carrots and celery and continue to roast until vegetables are dark and caramelized. Remove turkey parts and mirepoix. Drain grease and deglaze pan with white wine
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Place all ingredients in a stock pot and cover with water and remaining white wine. Bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer six to eight hours adding water if neccessary. Skim any solids that rise to the surface.
    2 Strain stock , allow to cool and refrigerate. Remove fat that solidifies on surface.
    Special Instructions:
    1 I usually split the stock into 1 quart foodsaver bags, freeze and vacuum seal.

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Author: Little Steven steve@ridgewoodusa.com

Source: BGE Forum, Little Steven, 2007/11/15
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

No but that would be one thing that Todd could have. This one was a broth I made prior to an ugly test. I think it was chicken.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Does your liquid diet include pureed fruit? If so, here's Alton Brown's smoothie recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buff-smoothie-recipe/index.html

God bless, Big'Un.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    All our best to you. Hope you get well soon.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Probably soo ugly I did not save it. LOL
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Be well my friend, and rest assured your in our thoughts and prayers...Wishin ya nothing but the best.

Wess & Sally
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    So freakin' glad to see you post :) Neil and I have been thinking of you since we heard and hope all is well soon. hoping for the best and sending love and hugs.... BIGUN'S!!! :lol::kiss:
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    You've been in many prayers here, My Friend, and will continue to be.

Mike
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Hang in there big guy we will be sending good vibes.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Hey Todd!!!
    Thanks for logging in to let us know. I'm sure it wasn't high on your list of things to do.
    Man, serious pain is a ****. I hate that for you. If morphine isn't touching it then you must be bad off. To think some people live like that everyday is unimaginable. Most of us are very lucky.
    If there is anything I can do for you or your family, please dont hesitate to ask. You have all my contact info. We'll be thinking of you my friend.

Best Wishes!

Ron
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I wish I could take your pain away. Will keep you and your family in my prayers. Hope everything goes well for you. God Speed.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Good luck buddy and please tell Jeannie to let us know if you guys need anything...
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Get well soon

Ross
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Softserve nonfat frozen yogurt...it's sweet, easy to eat, and no fat to aggravate your gallbladder (which is right next door to the pancreas). TCBY is your friend! Good homemade broth with a few drops of Peychaud's or Angostura bitters can taste like a treat after a few days of not eating.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Good to see a post from you. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Kent & Shalegh
  • I'm glad to hear you're back home, but sorry you're still in pain and having to deal with this. Get better soon!

My mom has Chron's and while it's mostly in remission, when it flares up and she can't eat, she enjoys liquid jello. She makes jello and then drinks it before it sets up. I think it's actually not bad!

Also, once my brother was in a bar fight and ended up with his jaws wired shut, so had to go liquid for a while. This is not the same thing as the kind of liquid diet you're on, probably. Is yours restricted to clear broth types of things? If not, my mom would make him tomato soup and then put cheese in it to melt. She was mainly trying to get calories into him as his situation wasn't medical in the same sense your case may be. So don't know if that suggestion will help.

Anyway, I hope this is soon behind you and you're feeling better. Picture a big juicy steak at the end of this journey...

Gwen
    Dimple's Mom
    (Sent from work)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    P.S. Hey Todd... if you could win Sunshine Fest Iron Chef with the "munchkins" as your side kicks you can beat this with one hand behind your back!!!! :evil:
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Best of luck as you go through all this, Todd. Best wishes for you and your family from mine.
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    I'm so glad to see you posting! Been thinking about you and your family. :)

Several years ago I had jaw surgery and my MIL made some potato soup which I lived on. She made it totally smooth with no lumps of potatoes or onions. Depending on your restrictions, you may need to leave out the butter and possibly the onions. Think of thinned out mashed potatoes.

Dakotah says "Hi...hope you get well soon!" :):):)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Todd,

We will continue prayers for relief of your pain and a successful determination of the source of your problems - a "good" source, if you know what I mean!

Thanks for keeping your Forum family up to date!
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Todd,
    Sorry you are having the trouble. We hope they get to the bottom of the problems. Prayers and kind thoughts going your way.
  • keep hanging in there buddy!! ....big hugs and prayers with you all the time!!!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    MI HERMANO...I POSTED THIS YESTERDAY..JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T SEE IT.A BIG HUG FROM MÉXICO.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=867582&catid=1
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Todd,
    we're sending good thoughts and prayers to you. Get well soon.

Mike, Karen, Em , Lis
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I hope they figure out why you are having these problems and are able to correct them. Get well.