Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking and Venting ? for Built in Egg

leahg
leahg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're eagerly awaiting the arrival of our new egg and the construction of our outdoor kitchen. We met with our contractor this morning to finalize things. He had heard that BGEs needed to have some serious airflow to cook properly and thus would suffer if the egg was dropped down into a stone countertop and "cabinet" and only accessed by a door in the front v. just sitting on a stand.

We really want to have the egg truly built in, with only the top showing. Of course there'll be vents in the back, but will this adversely impact our cooking on the BGE?

Thanks!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I don't think it's the problem he makes it out to be. Some ventilation yes but air flow can only be as much as can go through the bottom vent and come out the top vent. Those holes are pretty small.

Show him some photos of Eggs in tables on the Whiz's site:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

Spring "Smoke In The Hole" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • leahg
    leahg Posts: 3
    Thanks. Other than the materials, I think ours will look a lot like your rig, Spring Chicken. Don't think you've had too much difficulty in making the egg work, ;)
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Just a thought here, but you could have him build it in a way that the access door can remain open while you're cooking and still not be in your way. That way you'll still have the design you're looking for, with the access and ventilation too.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    leahg,

I nave a stainless table that I am converting to accommadate two large eggs. There are doors in it for access to the eggs but I plan on running it with the doors closed. I installed intake fans to provide airflow and actually connected tose to a Digi q controller. You can control temps using only the daisy and you can clean the egg from the top but I would be inclined to leave some kind of access to the lower damper.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Here's a picture of how we did ours. It works great.

In fact, the contractor is now using this picture in his advertisement.

IMGP0546.jpg

IMGP0548.jpg