Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do not pass go, do not collect $200...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
go directly to jail if you (like me, before tonight) had never cooked rack of lamb on the BGE.

The recipe on dizzy pig bbq's site is M-O-N-E-Y!!!!

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Now why do I think of Guy Fieri all of a sudden. :laugh: But seriously, those look excellent.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I gotta try it.I don't like lamb but that looks DELISH!Is there a good sauce to serve it with that covers up the LAMBY taste?I guess that would be counterproductive. :S Kinda like tryin to make venison taste like beef. :laugh: Sure looks good though!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That there is a serious plate of food!! Nicley done!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I'll post this in case it helps someone else, too... My wife is squeamish with any meat (even steak) on the rare or even med rare side... So the first rack I pulled off at 140 internal (the upper end of the temp range according to the recipe), and it was fine for me but the second one I put it back on a little longer and took it to 150 and it was still juicy and delicious! (And more to her liking...)

I marinated these overnight in soy, evoo, and pepper then applied sea salt and dizzy pig red eye express an hour before cooking.
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    I would like to try lamb soon. What was the internal, dome? Looks great!
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    I just saw your repost.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    I gotta try it.I don't like lamb but that looks DELISH!Is there a good sauce to serve it with that covers up the LAMBY taste?I guess that would be counterproductive. :S Kinda like tryin to make venison taste like beef. :laugh: Sure looks good though!

Hoss,

I got these New Zealand Frenched Rack of Lamb from Sam's (NZ is supposed to be the mildest tasting of all lamb plus ribs are the least gamey of all the cuts) and highly recommend them. (I think this was about 2 lbs for $14?) My wife won't eat ANYTHING remotely gamey and she loved them. My 3 yr old girl gobbled 2 of them down! They ARE NOT strange tasting---just delicious and juicy. I'd call the texture somewhere between a nice pork loin and prime rib---almost buttery. The fat seared in with the rub is exquisite!

My only comment would be don't be afraid to cook them to even medium if that's your preference. Our second one was fine at 150, maybe even 155.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Thanks,I'll give it a go! ;)
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    SmokinInCypress wrote:
    I would like to try lamb soon. What was the internal, dome? Looks great!

I seared about 60 secs on each side on a regular height cast iron grate at about 600-650. I took them off, closed the dampers and let things settle down for 5-10 mins, put the platesetter in, waited another 5-10 mins for things to hit 350 (top and bottom vents open a little), threw the racks on with this indirect set up and went to 140 on the first rack and 150 on the second one. Let rest about 10 mins.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Hoss,

A chef once taught me to buy New Zealand lamb and trim off as much fat as you can, especially that hard fat.

I've cooked the Dizzy Pig Rack of lamb and non-lamb eaters had seconds.... :woohoo:

texasAUtiger (conflicted handle ;) ) - great-looking meal and super pics ! :woohoo:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Congrats on the great cook, lamb done right is up there with the best steak in my book. I did some loin chops a week ago and they were fantastic.

Gator

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Wow looking great. I have never had lamb it scares me.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    Thanks for giving all of the details. I'm definitely putting this on the cook list.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Awesome looking food
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Patti, If you like beef, you'll love a well egged lamb. As someone said earlier, I find it very similar to prime rib.