Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something New - Quick and Easy Ribeye Roast

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made this earlier in the week to serve some friends who came over for baseball opening day. We get the MLB Extra Innings package, and our tradition is to watch at least one inning of every game that's on. Since we have guests over, I needed to come up with something to serve for dinner that wasn't too involved, so I could spend time with my guests while it cooked. In addition, opening day was the day after Easter this year, and we were driving back several hundred miles from visiting my folks, so I didn't have time to marinate the beef or leave a rub on for any length of time. To complicate matters, one of my guests was keeping kosher for passover, so I was further limited in what I could use to flavor the meat. Here's what I came up with:

I brushed the meat with a new pomegranate vinegar that I had picked up recently, then made a simple rub from kosher salt, coarsely ground black pepper, and onion powder. I roasted the beef indirect over oak wood smoke until the internal temp hit 105, then I removed the plate setter, raised the temp, and cooked direct until the internal hit 115. I removed, let the meat rest a bit, and sliced on a cutting board coated in more of the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. This came out really tasty, and even one of our guests who is a professional chef loved it.

Oh - I almost forgot - I tried using some freshly cut white oak chunks for smoke on this cook. It's the first time I tried using green wood, and I was really happy with the result. I got a nice smoke ring, really good flavor, and consistent smoke production throughout the cook.

More details on the cook posted on our blog at: http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2010/04/recipe-smoked-ribeye-roast-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

Roast Just Pulled from the Egg
4511485544_528d5622a8.jpg

1st Slice - Nice Smoke Ring
4510847083_320c2cf68e.jpg

Plated and Ready to Serve
4510847575_110d690282.jpg

Enjoy!

-John

Comments