Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on cowboy lump????

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a 20 lb bag. It was a few bucks cheaper than the BGE. I can't find Royal Oak in my area.

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Some people do not like it but that is what I use and also royal oak. I have had no problem with it. I like it.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I use cowboy all the time. $11.00 for 20#.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Burns fast. Burns hot. Burns up rather quickly.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Burns really hot and sparks a lot.

MIke
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    not bad. Using it now for 2 butts
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    You even got bolts, rocks and door frames at no extra charge. Kind of looks like to go to houses that have burned down and fill the bags.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'm with Patti on this. It's what's available here without having to travel. Reasonable $$ on both.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    sorry but you say Cowboy is only a few bucks cheaper than BGE lump? This is one of those situations that you are either getting screwed for the Cowboy lump or buying the BGE lump cheaper than most people can buy it. Those two lumps are not normally mentioned in the same sentence!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Abe Froman
    Options
    I don't care for it. The pieces are small and there is something about cooking over flooring scraps that bothers me.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I don't personally care for it either...but the flooring scraps part doesn't bother me...it's just scraps from wood mills..unfinished..and safe....that said..I do believe thats why it burns faster...it's already kiln dried lumber before it's turned into lump..
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I bought it one time from Bass Pro Shops. I thought it was garbage, it sparked a lot and it was loaded with what looked like floor scraps from a woodworking factory or some home building site.

Anyway, I thought I was buying some nice bag of natural wood product but found industrial scraps instead. It left me with a "ripped off" feeling for the extra cost I paid for the bag.

A big bag of Royal Oak costs $15 here and a big bag of Maple Leaf costs $18. Cowboy cost me $10 for half the size of the other stuff. I'm sticking with the RO and ML for now as they've been both great for me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    LOL Wess
    I just always wonder what OTHER scrap gets thrown in "that bin of scrap and crap" going there!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Irreverent
    Options
    I get Cowboy Charcoal at Lowes in 8 lb bags for $5.99. I do find that it burns faster than BGE lump, but I have yet to find any metal or rocks in mine. On the other hand, I am amassing a collection of small meteorites from my BGE lump. I usually use a blend of the two. The BGE lump costs $17.99 for a 20 lb bag around here.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have gone through at least 50 bags of Cowboy and like it pretty well. Hardwood scraps are nothing but sawed -up hardwood trees. I have gotten many bags that contain no scraps at all and have never gotten a door hinge or any metal at all, an occasional piece of cement or something but nothing worse than I have found in Wicked Good. I light with propane and have had no excessive sparking.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I use it all the time 'cause it's all I can get close by me an din 20 lbs bags. It does spark some, sometimes more than others, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. All-in-all I'm happy with it.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I use it alot. It does burn faster than others but no where near as fast that it makes up for the price diff. You say a little cheaper than BGE? It should be half the price of BGE. It is here anyways. If it were only a couple buck I would probably use BGE.