Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg

Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my new egg, and have a couple of questions.I realize that with ceramic there are bound to be slight imperfections, but mine has a bunch of tiny white dots in the lid where the green paint did not get in. The holes are not that deep-just deep enough for the paint to not be able to cover the ceramic. I'd say there are maybe 20 or so in the lid. Am I being too picky or should I try to take it back? The bottom part does not have these white dots. Also, what is the hook for on the handle end of the ash tool? It is bent the wrong way for hanging. Thanks, Billy

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Billy,
    I wouldn't worry about the little holes on the lid as the EGG carries a lifetime warrranty. They will not affect itscooking process. As for the handle on the ash tool, the reverse bend is so that you can lock the hinges on the EGG without reaching across the cooking grid.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Billy, you may have a imperfect dome. I assume its covered under warranty but call BGE at 1-800-939-EGGS, and confirm. If you haven't used it yet, I would take it back to the dealer and get a satisfactory replacement. There should not be any speckles of missing paint.[p]That ash tool curve is a unique feature of the ash tool design that continues to perpetuate the inquiries. :-)
    You can use it for many things..I use it to hook into the holes in my daisy wheel top to lift it off when too hot to handle. The old usage was for the older hinged support legs and you could reach back over the hot pit and hook the legs to set them or to release them. Same for the new trip lock hinge. I could also use it to lift hot grills off the inside of the BGE...
    See!!! Lots of uses..besides cleaning ash from the pit.
    Cheers...C~W
    Good also to beat off the neighbors and mother-in-laws!![p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Billy,[p]Well, you have a split decision, judge Troy scores it for the green team and still the winner, I vote keep the egg. When I got my egg it had (still has) a spot on the side of it just above the band on the lid that looks as if it were brushed or bumped while the green paint was still wet, about 1 inch long by 1/2 inch tall. It is kind of like a smear. The guys at BGE said that it will not effect the egg at all and they've been right. They WERE willing to replace it for me if I had wished. I have a few small pinholes also but nothing serious at all or of any size. No noticeable effects.[p]Just my two pennies, give BGE a call and see what they have to say, if nothing else just to squelch or confirm any concerns that you have.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Billy,[p]I have a couple of them in my eggs too - but no more than 2-3. I think they are from air bubbles in the glaze - they pop and left that mark -- just a guess. BGE might have a green touchup color but I am not sure I would worry unless you have as many as you say.[p]Tim