Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting parts for Maverick ET-73

DrRyan
DrRyan Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious if anyone else has the issues I am currently having trying to get in contact with the people at Maverick. I am trying to get a couple replacement food probes for my ET-73. I have left multiple messages at their number (732)417-9666 as well as several emails to them as well in the last 3-4 weeks. Still no response.

If anyone else has had a similar problem, were you ever able to get in contact with them? Any suggestions on how to finally make contact and get the parts? Maybe somewhere other than Maverick that I can get probes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Yes, I had the same problem. I faxed my order in and about 3 to 4 weeks later I got a email saying it was processed. I tried calling also and left msgs to see what the deal was and never heard a word. But I did finally get my stuff.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just for grins, I just called that number 3 times. On the third try, a live body answered!

But they close at 5ET. Try 'em again tomorrow.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    their service sucks...here's what I posted recently:

I bought mine 7 years ago and right out of the box the reception couldn't even reach 6 feet. I registered a complaint with Maverick customer service twice and never heard back so that p*ssed me off. Next I found their corporate HQ and wrote to the President and the next 7 corporate suits on down. Within a day I got two apologies and one email asking for my mailing address so they could send me a replacement which they did. But the funny thing - when I asked where to return the defective one...the reply was throw it in the trash! That told me they knew their product quite well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    RRP wrote:
    But the funny thing - when I asked where to return the defective one...the reply was throw it in the trash!

That told me they knew their product quite well!

Rather than 'what they thought of their product', maybe it isn't worth the company's time, money and manpower to deal with the defective item. They are surly not going to repair and resell your used unit.

With an internet price of $37 - $40 Maverick's raw cost would probably be in the $7 to $15 range.

Them not wanting it back means nothing one way or the other, their intent was to get you a replacement.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have 2 Mavericks Alert/3s and last week trashed one after a year and the other one is about to go. Half the time the last one will not register a temp, sometimes will not let me change alarms or settings, timer usually works. Currently using a thermapen, Thanks Molly, and a couple of the $5 stick em poke em, but that is 10+ seconds. Anyone got some different and better ideas?? TIA
  • EggTurner
    EggTurner Posts: 108
    The Forum seems split on the value of the ET-73; I have been on the side of "mine is working okay" but now am moving toward "it's a piece of junk!" It may not be worth trying to get parts.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    If someone would redesign those little boxes and put them in a quality case. Beef up their tiny, hard-to-get-to ON/OFF switches, and tweek the software a little, they could have the potential of attaining the quality of a Thermapen! I've used mine (carefully) for two years, and it finally broke. I'd pay double for one like I described. They're still the most useful remote thermometers in my opinion...not really "trash" just built too skimpy. Oh, mine transmitted well over 100 feet.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    When my mav failed ( second use) I called the company and got a replacement within a week. Later I took the defective unit apart and repaired it. Now I have two that I don't use since I got the guru and a thermopen.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I have an ET-73 as well as a Weber branded unit. The Weber works very well. The guys at Everything BBQ (the sponsors of the Oklahoma Eggfest) stated that there have been almost no complaints pertaining to these units.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    actually here just a few years back I believe it was in fact the Thermapen folks conducted a survey to that extent of what people might be willing to pay for such an animal you described. Not sure if something is in development at the Skunk Works or if they abandoned the idea. Anybody else remember this or know anything about the results?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    love what it does, hate how it does it. they had the right idea but they certianly could have done a better job with quality and with the unintuative software. the batteries rescently died on mine, but its pretty old now, must be near 6 years for mine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it