Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pizza

Roundman
Roundman Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All,
Made my first pizza tonight. Tasted great need to work on appearance my pizza was far from round in shape. I also would like some help in making a thin crust any tips? I love the taste of pizza cooked on the BGE. My pizza was ugly but the flavor was great. I told my wife practices make perfect.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Roundman,[p]Am going to try a new recipe this weekend specific on thin crust from scratch, if it works I will post the recipe, but it sounds like it is a heck of a lot easier to order carryout but what the h***.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Roundman,[p]Thin crust pizza is my favorite and my hubby, Mr. Hyde has got a great recipe for crust...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Mr. Hyde's Pizza[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Yeah, it *is* easier to order in, but it's not near as fun. LOL For me, it's been the challenge of it all. I'm determined to make pizza better than what I can buy from take-out. Most of the time, I'm there. Still perfecting, still having fun ...[p]Oh, I just got my pizza screen today. That should help the crust even more.
  • Roundman,
    I'm interested in your pizza comments, that's one of my next projects on the BGE. I have made my own pizza for years but have cooked in the oven. I use my bread machine on the dough cycle to make the dough. That is a very easy way to make great dough because all you do is put the stuff in the machine and in about 2 hours it is ready to roll out.My husband got us a pizza screen today so I guess that's a hint for pizza.

• Roundman
    Roundman Posts: 43
    espnga,
    I made my dough in a bread machine enough for 2 12 inch pizza. But the pizza were thick crust about 1/2 inch my wife likes thin very thin like cracker crust almost. The crust tasted good just to thick for her taste.

• Roundman,[p]Here's what works for me (makes about 3-4 thin crust pizzas):[p]- I start with all purpose flour, yeast, salt, sugar, olive oil, water. I proof the yeast (make sure it is fresh!) in about 1/2 lukewarm cup of water. I toss in about 1/2 tsp of sugar and I sprinkle some flour (about 1 Tbsp) of flour on top. In about 10 minutes, I have a nice foamy mixture. If it is NOT foamy, your yeast is dead! Using my Kitchen Aid, I mix 4 cups of flour, the yeast mixture, add another 1/2 cup of water, a pinch of salt, 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil and let the mixer do the work. It may seem a bit dry but give it a few minutes, if it does not more moisture, add a Tbsp of water at a time. It takes about 10 minutes for the dough to become very soft (you can tell when it starts to wrap itself around the dough hook. I take the dough out, knead it a bit (a minute or so) by hand and then place it in a large glass bowl that has been lightly greased with some olive oil and cover it with some plastic wrap or a damp cloth. (You could leave it in the mixing bowl if you prefer, just make sure to cover it). I let the dough rise away from drafts, etc. About 1.5 hrs later (the dough should have doubled in size), I take the dough out, knead it again (by hand) for about 1-2 minutes and place it back in the bowl for another 1/2 hr or so of rising. Before I start rolling the dough, I get the BGE really hot (700 degrees+) for at least 10 minutes (this gets the pizza stone really hot). I cut the dough in 3-4 chunks, roll them GENTLY into a ball and, while keeping the rolling surface + rolling pin well floured, I roll the pizza out into a 12-13" circle. The dough will stretch and you will end up with a very thin crust. It is NOT going to be a perfect circle but who cares! I sprinkle my pizza peel with some cornmeal (helps to slide the pizza off of the peel!), place the dough on the peel, add my ingredients, slide into the BGE et voila!!! Note that the pizza will cook VERY fast so keep an eye on it. While it is cooking, get the second pizza ready... The secrets here are: a) let the dough rise twice, b) don't over handle it, c) get the BGE/stone very very hot to cook it quickly.[p]Enjoy!!!