Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dad's Birthday

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just confirmed that my Dad want's to come over here so I can cook for him. He will be 82 on the 10th, Sat. He and my other mother will be here at 12. Also wants apple pie. I've got yoga from 9-10. I can prep Friday.
Looking for suggestions. I've got alot of thoughts but I'd love to hear what you all got up your egg sleeves.
Appreciate you taking your time out for this!! :)
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What is their very favorite food? :huh:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Sorry to have to type this at all and here...taco bell...
    So I just say cleinens enchies. I've got smoked, pulled chick in da freeza. Also got green chili in there too. I need to clense some anyway. Chicken enchies sound good enough for a GREAT father who loves me unconditionally? (you all should say a prayer for him for doing this, I'm the good one of 5...(right) B) :silly: :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    PERFECT! ;) Whatever his fave is...DO IT!!! B)
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    I would do pulled pork enchilada's that will be 100 times better than TB. Also maybe some ABT's if they can handle that and maybe some chili cheese dip. That is what I would do. Love Mexican food. Happy Birthday to your dad early. Good Luck

Patti
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Patti, Talk to me about your cheese dip.
    Thank you!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Molly,

Mexican theme it is then. :)

Any siblings joining you?
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Molly,

Ummm apple pie.

We almost always make a chicken paprikash dish for special days. This can be made in a DO and goes well with apple pie for dessert. :woohoo:

Paprika (Hungaian), onions, chicken broth and chicken pieces (dark meat is best for flavor) can be made the night before.

The dumplings, sinkers that is, can be made the night before also as I always like this meal when it has time to rest in it own juices. The sinkers are tsp size and cooked in the wonderful paprika and onions broth with the chicken removed.

Once the dumplings are finished cooking combine (reheat if necessary) and enjoy with a good crusty bread.

Hope this makes sense. :ermm:
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    for the apple pie....have you ever made apple praline pie?
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Waiting to hear from Carole and Joe's reply.
    Ondale, ondale!!!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Kinda...sinkers = dumplings?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Yep. Growing up there were floaters (standard larger dumplings) and sinkiners (smaller tighter, no air, that is) that would go to the bottom of the pot when finished cooking.

I can get the recipe from my wife if you'e interested.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    No, hook me up Rick...or Jen :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Absolutely!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Molly, that's really neat that your dad wants you to cook for him, that's quite a compliment. I know my dad is going to be 80 on his next B.D. and he likes the simple cooks. Filet mignon, mushrooms and a baked potato. People that age don't like the gourmet dishes, at least my parents don't. That makes it really easy for you.
    Happy Birthday to your dad. At 82 you never know what can happen and every day is a gift. Have fun and take pics.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Me too Patti, would love the cheese dip recipe. :)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Most certainly will Anne!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • reelgem
    Options
    Bill, could you send me that recipe? That sounds great!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Molly,

Everybody loves chilis rellenos, Mexican rice and refried beans. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NoVA Bill
    Options
    My wife, Lyn, typed this recipe for me. Take it to the bank this is one delicious meal - I grew up eating this on special occasions. Pls ignore my earlier attempts to descibe this as the "boss" got it right. ;)

Chicken Paprikash

2 Chicken breasts, cut into small strips (or chicken parts my preferance)
    2 sweet onions, sliced
    2 Tbsp paprika

Knephley (dumplings)
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 cut milk
    1 heaping tbsp sour cream

In a dutch oven, saute the sliced onions in 2 tbsp vegetable oil until tender. Add the paprika sprinkled over the onions. Lay the sliced chicken over the onions. Add about 2 quarts of water and simmer until chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken and onions and keep warm.

Prepare the knephley by mixing together all of the ingredients. Lyn usually makes 4 or 5 recipes at once. The consistency should be like pancake batter, perhaps a little thicker. Spoon by teaspoonfuls (or tablespoonfuls) into the paprika water. Make about 25 dumplings at a time and cook until they rise to the top. You may have to gently scrape them from the bottom. Add the dumplings to the chicken. Make additional batches of dumplings until all the batter is used. Return the chicken, onions, and dumplings to the water and continue to simmer for an hour or two. (longer is better)

This is defintely better the longer it rests. So making it the night before is A okay in my book.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Ohhh, that's a good reminder there. Thanks Steve!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    Apple Praline Pie

1 pkg. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts

Filling:
    6 cups peeled sliced apples
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter

Toss ingredients lightly and put in pastry lined 9-inch glass pie pan. Dot with butter. Top with 2nd crust, flute edges and cut few slits on top. Bake at 425 degrees 30-45 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.

Topping:
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons half & half
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Melt butter; stir in brown sugar and milk. Slowly bring to boil; remove from heat and add pecans. Put pie on cookie sheet or pizza pan (with edges) and pour topping on pie. Bake 2-3 minutes or until topping bubbles. Cool at least one hour before slicing.
  • Rib Bones
    Options
    Molly,

Sorry it took so long...had to find the recipe. I actually make this pie on the Egg, just be sure you have real clean smoke. The first time I made it on the Egg it came out smoky tasting. After ribs, not a smart move. :ermm: Lesson learned, the next one was great!

Hope this helps! Jen
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Anne, check your email. Cheers!
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Thanks Jen!! I'll let you know.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Thats great Molly!! You of all people don't need our advice on what to cook. I am sure what ever it will be great. I would keep it simple as most older folks dont like "new fangled stuff!!LOL
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Molly you know him....you know his taste...now........don't go for the typical normal cook for his age......SURPRISE HIM...I'd fix a nice lobster & scallops sort of cook ;)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Molly...If I could come and help, I would!! What fun!!
    I would lean toward enchiladas (chicken in a white smother with plenty of green chilis), chili relainos / relenos (sp? :unsure: Yes, I know I have that all weirded out, but I’m having a BIG brain fart), and a Mexican rice, maybe even a rice and bean thing.
    If you would like recipe ideas / suggestions...email me!
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Cheeese dip, Depends how many poeple you have. I use two cans of chili without beans then mexican velveta and a can of chopped green chiles. I put it in the crockpot to keep it warm. Mix it all together I just use a small box of velveta but if you need more I just use the plain. Put the chili in the crockpot then pull or cube up your cheese and add chopped green chiles. It takes about an hr to melt everything together. Any other questions let me know. Enjoy your dad's birthday.

Patti