Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to this forum

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I originally posted this as a response to "How do I cook on an egg and lose weight, too. I decided I wanted to make it a starting point for my participation on this forum instead of burying it as just a reply.
So, here it is again:I have been on a campaign to BURN FAT as a method to lose weight. If you do it wrong you can lose weight by losing lean muscle. The easiest way to do this is if you only restrict calories. Ideally you want to build muscle first by exercise, a combination of cardio and strength training. These used to be swear words in my vocabulary but after some heart issues involving Atrial fibrillation I decided I needed to make serious lifestyle changes. You need to be aware of your nutrition needs as well. Multiply your current weight by 18 and you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight. Multiply by 16 to find out how many you need to "lose weight" The difference is your calorie deficit and can be added to with exercise. The Internet has been how I found out what to do to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, fire up my metabolism, burn fat and build muscle. Google is your friend.
I am 61 years old and used to emote with food. If I was happy, sad, depressed, angry, fill in the blank-- I ate. Now I know exactly what I am eating, be it protein carbohydrate or fat. I know what it is going to do to me or for me. I know how much is a portion and I stick to it but I don't obsess. Food is fuel, not an emotional response. This is new territory for me.
Someone just gave me an BGE. I haven't seen it yet I am suppose to pick it up this week. Instead of fixing just any old food that sounds good I will fix balanced meals with a mix of protein, vegetables and some fat. I will limit my starch and eat fresh fruit. The best tasting food in the world is prepared on an egg.
I am ecstatic to find this branch of the BGE
forum. I look forward to encouraging each of you.
If you decide to build muscle as away to burn fat you can put away your scale and watch your healthy body materialize before you in a mirror. Measure inches on a tape not pounds on a scale.
I understand this flies in the face of a lot of conventional "wisdom" but after two months it is working for me. I found www.stronglifts.com and joined a gym.
Peace
'Q Bruddah

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    you can really cook some great foods with an egg that will really suit your diet plan. i have to warn you though that pizza off the egg is many eggers downfall, stay completey away from that cook, you will want to do it several times a week :laugh: then theres the drinking with your eggs, seems many just hang around them with beverages and we seem to stretch our cooks out just to enjoy more of them. :laugh: avoid these pitfalls and you should do fine. been on atkins before, high protiens, good veggies and fruits, it works, just have to avoid those pizzas and breads from the egg :whistle: barbells are next for me, going to put them next to the egg :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    I am an amateur baker and know first hand the evils of dough. My doctor warned me just before I started eating healthy and I took her advice and have for the most part, abstained. A slice of good whole grain bread is a treat, sandwiches, a rare treat. Depending on your perspective I am blessed or cursed with a physical intolerance to alcohol. It produces adverse physical reactions beyond the usual onset of temporary progressive stupidity and inhibition atrophy. I miss the taste of dark beer and good red wine but I think I will live.
    I look forward to all the delicious ways to fuel my body and enjoy good food. I have been acquainted with the forum for about three years. I can't wait to get my egg.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    breads a killer, never craved sweets but crave good bread. sure miss good beer though, this bud select 55 that i drink now is NOT beer :laugh: i call it punishment for putting on the pounds :laugh: dont make that first pizza ;)
    fukahwee maine

• 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Sounds like good advice about the first pizza. Not sure I'll be able to comply forever. My baking specialty is "good bread" like artisan loaves, the kind you buy when the wife says, "we're having lasagna, pick up some good bread." Ideally baked in a brick oven with crusty crust and sourdough crumb with decorative slashes through the top. Six bucks a loaf bread if you can find it. I need to stay away from that first loaf as well.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    to each his own. Outside of taste, I don't miss it.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    one good thing that comes without drinking is the amount of calories you can consume with food. anything more than about a thousand food calories and i gain weight
    fukahwee maine

• 'Q Bruddah
    Options
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, Glad to have you overboard.

Patti
    wichita, KS
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    A voice for "moderation in all things" here. You can make great-tasting, whole-grain, no-fat loaves with the killer artisan crust on the Egg. If portion control is your problem, it's easy enough to slice the entire loaf & put it into the freezer (you can defrost the desired amount at room temp overnight). I bake with King Arthur's white whole wheat (a less-tannic variety of whole wheat), adding ground flaxseed & oatmeal to the standard Jim Lahey no-knead pane integrale loaf....the stuff is delicious, makes excellent toast (slather it with nut butter for a breakfast protein kick), and is far healthier than loaf you'll buy.

RE: healthy pizza, same thing: switch to a whole-grain crust, with a long cold ferment, and skip the ridiculous load of American-style toppings. Go Italian and use a light hand. A whole-wheat thin crust pizza marinara (IOW, no cheese), topped with arugula or julienned spinach, is a good-for-you-treat. Same goes for squash blossom pizza, or any of the other typically Italian vegetable toppings (sauteed kale or broccolini, mushrooms, olives).