Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast - this did not go well

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a chuck roast low and slow (225-240) the other night. Has anyone done chuck roast like this before? [p]I figured it had enough fat that it could take the 6-7 hours (it was about a 3# roast) in the egg. I was very wrong.

I foiled it after 4 hours - internal at that time was 159. I pulled it when the probe read 192. When I opened the foil the roast was sitting in a pool of liquid and there was nothing left in the meat. I even let it rest for 20 minutes. It was super dry and went directly to the trash. Needless to say we had hot dogs for dinner. :-([p]The meat was partly frozen when I started, but I didn't think that would matter much.[p]Any tips?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Smoked Signals, I've mentioned several time about doing my last brisket on raised grid and a huge chuck roast on the bottom grid in v-rack with drip pan. I inserted slivers of garlic into the meat (can't remember,,oh,oh,it's called larding or something like that), and since I had just cut a whole bunch of fat from the brisket I put that on top of the chuck roast. Both meats were oiled and Dizzy dusted first. But I think I cooked mine about 12 hrs to reach an internal of 190 on the brisket and didn't bother checking the roast during this time and it turned out absolutely fantastic , I will never do another brisket without either doing the exact thing again or a 2nd brisket (Foodsavers are great). Why you had such a big differience has to be caused by the size of it and the fact that you escalated the cooking on an already cooked too much meat by putting in the foil. Not an expert like many here but that what I think. IMHO

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Smoked Signals, i have had various degrees of success with chuck roast. the best one ive done ( i think it was called 7 bone chuck) was cut like a 3.5 inch steak which i seared and then cooked at 250, but i would never trash one. they get frozen for a later chili cook, or for a stew.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    I did an 8lb chuck roast last weekend. Cooked it at 225 indirect for 13 hrs. It fell off the bone and was really good. I just mixed a little bbq sauce in it after I shredded it and put it on some buns. See-Yaa

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Chuck_116b.GIF
    <p />Smoked Signals,[p]I have seen pictures of chuck roasts that have a lot of marbling in them that might do ok with a long slow cook, but I did a couple many years ago that were very lean and lean doesn't do well with long slow cooking. There is no need to cook long and slow with lean meat because it will only dry out. Go hot and fast with lean meat and do it like a London broil. I told the wife to never bring another one of those home for me to do anything with but make jerky out of - it's good for that.[p]This is what mine looked like - to lean to go slow with.[p]Tim
  • Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    I just did a low and slow Large 10 lb Chuck Roast. I put the fat on top. It was in a v-rack in a drip pan over a pizza stone. Cooked at 230 for 19 hrs. - it was stuck at 152 degrees. Then at 310 for 3 more hrs. brought it to 195. Did not use foil. Put a heavy layer of Dizzy Dust on. It came out real good. Not super moist, but it was loved by all. I may try the foil next time.

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,[p]your pic actually looks like an "eye of the round" roast rather than a chuck roast. and as you correctly assessed, they are far too lean for a long cook.[p]cheers