Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Burgers=Easter FLAMES!

SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It just occured to me that this post would hold much more weight if I had taken pics of the flames shooting up off of the lump, but I was too busy trying to reassure my family that it was okay and the burgers would taste fine......AND that I wasn't going to burn the house down, lol.

I just don't know what else to do to keep burgers from causing huge flare ups. I had the egg rolling along at 350 with the plate-setter and ABT's on...no problems, everyone raved on those. However, take off the plate-setter and keep it set at 350, then a few minutes later put on the grid extender and about 6 good sized patties, walked inside to wash my hands, and come back out to thick white smoke and that distinct smell that I know you are all aware of. It's that smell that tells you that soon after you open that lid you will be dealing with a flare up, and sure enough. The flames were so high I was struggling to flip the burgers, and at other times with no flames of course that made the smoke so thick I couldn't see to flip the burgers.....and even had family coughing, lol. WTH? I tried every vent setting imaginable before opening it, with it opened, etc etc.

The only other way I can think to keep the flames minimal would be to use very little lump when doing burgers, limiting the fuel partially.

Idk, but I do know that it is not very impressive for folks who have never seen an Egg in action.......most of them thought the burgers were good.....but not good enough for "all the trouble".

All in all, it was one of those days that every Egger has had........one where you say "next time I am doing burgers for that many, I guess I am bringing a gasser". Now, of course I have settled down now and wouldn't ever do such a thing.....but I will admit I was nervous about ruining the food today, and I am not a novice Green Egger.

HELP!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Burgers can be a ****!Especially the GOOD fatty ones. ;) MS EGGER almost got a divorce for tryin to cook a bunch once! :whistle: A half pizza stone helps,you can move em after they sear. :) Smaller load of lump helps as well as a raised grid. ;)
  • I cook lots of burgers and I use a raised grid, medium to medium high fire, close the bottom vent and grill with the top open. You don't get the bad burned, too smokey taste and bad flareups happen less since you are raised up. I do close the lid to melt the cheese and and toast my buns.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SmokinParrotHead

You can use a leaner beef mix too. You don't need a high fat mixture for the egg cause they won't dry out as much.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I'm doing burgers tonight.
    I do them at 350 or so...usually no higher than 500. No raised grid.

There is a lot of smoke...usually white...but I don't find it acrid or anything like that.

You mention "...all the trouble..." I just get the egg up to temp, slap the burgers on, and close the lid. No messing around...that's the beauty of the egg...just get the meat on and let 'er do the work.

In the end...were the burgers good or well liked? If so...just keep on trucking...people will get used to the smoke, etc.

Not sure if this helps... :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SmokinParrotHead wrote:
    All in all, it was one of those days that every Egger has had........one where you say "next time I am doing burgers for that many, I guess I am bringing a gasser".

I will never have such a day. The last gasser I bought, 20+ years ago, I returned after ONE cook. Worst batch of burgers I had ever had!!

That said, I have yet to cook a large quantity of burgers on the egg, but I always use 80/20 and have yet to have any flare up problems. ~400*, put 'em on and close the dome. It's been workin' for me.

Better luck next time? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Think of it as an opportunity to show off your manly "lord of fire" side. Get a nice, long handled spatula for flipping the burgers. Get a welding glove. Then, when the flames are at their hottest and highest, calmly reach into the flames and flip your burgers. Make sure everyone is watching. They'll only think it was "a lot of trouble" if you act like it is.

I cook my burgers in the 450-500 degree range, raised grid, 80/20 meat, and yes, there are lots of flames, especially when they're flipped, and the fat that has pooled on top drips down into the coals, but I have never had a better burger.