Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egrets ham running hot

Options
jpEGG
jpEGG Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was planning on about five hours to get to 140 internal, but I'm getting there ahead of schedule and company's arrival. I'm at about 130 internal now, 90 minutes ahead of when I planned to pull the hams.

My fault, as the egg was probably too hot after breakfast fattys and french toast and I didn't bring it down far enough.

My thought is to just close it down for the last 90 minutes and hope it limps to 140. Make sense?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    my 8 pound Egret ham rushed through as well and hit 140 an hour before I wanted - but that happens. I just pulled it off, wrapped in foil and then a large towel and popped it in a small ice chest. It will stay fine as it has before as well.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    My 11+lb shank cooked a lot faster then I figured done in 2 hrs,in retrospect, it was to high in dome should have had a smaller pan and trevit to set on plate setter, with air gap between inverted plate setter and pan, I got to much radiated heat from dome, shank was almost up in top vent, It was stiil good not much came home, i see beans and rice with the Bone.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    11+ done in 2 hours? Me thinks you might want to re-calibrate your dome thermometer or did you cook it at some temp higher than the suggested 250°?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    I thought Therm was out of calibration too, checked it was a couple degrees low, temp was 250*, ham sat out a little over an hour, when I checked with Termapen was 150* to 160*,