Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upside Down Apple Spice Cake

JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I made an Upside Down Apple Spice Cake. It was a knock off from a recipe from Southern Living from 5+ years ago.

Here's the "cake" ready for the BGE:
99573bcf.jpg

Fresh off the Egg:
4d1700f5.jpg

Inverted and ready to be cut:

5d9ca34a.jpg

A peek inside:
8c8bba25.jpg

Will share the recipe another day. 3:15 AM was a long time ago, need sleep after a looooong day at work.

Comments

• Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    That looks delicious!!
  • Judy's Egg
    Judy's Egg Posts: 104
    Please do share, that looks great!
  • :woohoo: YUMMY :woohoo:

You may be a contender to rival Desert Filly's Rum Cake

:evil:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I am impressed that such a cake can be "baked" in the EGG. I look forward to your recipe.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Gary
    Formerly GTIPROD
  • Good job Julie

Ross
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    3/4 cup butter, softened and divided
    2 cups sugar, divided
    3 large Granny Smith apples (or other firm tart apples--I used 1 GS and 2 Fuji), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick bite sized pieces
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 cup toasted pecans, chopped and divided
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 cup milk

In 12 inch cast iron skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter on stove top over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup sugar and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes or until sugar is melted and turns golden. Add apple slices and raisins, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until apples have softened slightly and juices turn syrupy thick. Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle mixture with 1/2 cup pecans. Set aside.

Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed in large mixing bowl until creamy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just blended.

In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

Slowly, alternately, add the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beating at low speed until just blended, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Gently fold in the remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon batter evenly over apple mixture in skillet.

Bake at 350 degrees indirect for 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out cleanly. Cool in skillet for five minutes, then invert onto serving plate.