Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry wood question....

Options
Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here is my question. Does wild, non fruit bearing trees smoke the same as fruit bearing trees??? I have an abundance of the wild trees and if it smokes the same I will be all set.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I'm no Eggspert when it comes to smoking woods so I rely on outside sources. One thing I've found is that there are lots of different opinions among those sources.

There are also many variables in the type, size, age, moisture content, temperature, time, type of meat, etc.

So it would be difficult to always predict the outcome. However, I do know that the Egg is very efficient when it comes to smoking wood.

A few days ago I posted this about smoking woods.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=849152&catid=1

At least it gives some basic information as to what you can expect from each type.

Sorry I couldn't help more but I'm pretty sure there are among us a few who will share their knowledge on the subject.

Spring "I Smoked But I Didn't Inhale" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    ive got several types of cherry wood growing in the yard, the only type i smoke with is the wild black cherry, the stuff they make cabinets from. the wild choke cherry here is sappy, never tried it, but doesnt look right for smoking. my sweet cherry tree might be fine but from what i see its the black cherry thats most popular, it does have tiny berries but you need binoculars to see them way up there ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    You are set!

I have used wild cherry for 2 years now. Try mixing hickory and cherry 50/50.

GO SPORTS TEAMS!!
  • you'll often see the recommendation to only smoke with fruit-bearing varieties. but i'm all about trying it for one's self.

toss some onthe fire and smell it. taste is mostly smell, right? if it smells good, it'll likely taste good.

give it a shot. if it smells good, try it on a piece of pork or chicken, something mild in flavor.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    i've been using wild cherry for years..... never had the hybrid type....
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    IMO coffee smells great but the taste is horrible :laugh: