Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone familiar with Tramontina CI enamel?

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got our Tuesday Morning flyer and noticed they've got Tramontina Enameled Cast Iron Cookware on sale. Does anyone know if this is any good. I know the gold standard is LeCreuset (sp?), but 2009 was lousy, work-wise, so I'm pinching pennies.

thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Yup...

I think this is the 7 qt. I use it in the egg, stove top and in the oven.

Other than a nagging concern that it may have lead in the ceramic/paint/coating, I love it. I also have the 16qt for larger pots of chili. The 16qt is aluminum based.

I did have some EVOO in the base with the oven turned up high the oil ended up staining the inside which I now can't get out. I would think that would happen to my Le Ceuset also.

Cleans up well (other than the burned on oil stain).

The price was great at Walmart. $27.99 and $32.99.

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

GG
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    There was a thread last week about budget enamled CI. You might look it up, but one thing noted is that they are thinner so dont work as good on a single burner but are fine in an Egg or oven.

FWIW, I have a Tramontina "tri-clad" 10" sautee pan, from Walmart that is basically an All-Clad knock off. I love it.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    John, Cooks Illustrated rated the Le Creuset as the Best Heavy dutch oven and the All-Clad as the Best lighter dutch oven. However, the best buy went to the Tramontina! It was highly rated.
  • Tiburon
    Tiburon Posts: 42
    Options
    I checked the Cooks Illustrated site and the enamaled products seem to be well rated. For the price difference I may take a look.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

My 16qt is aluminum core and is much thinner.

However, the 7qt is every much as thick an guessing as heavy as the Le Creuset. Can't tell any cooking difference between the two.

GG
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks for the input!

The flier says $24.99 to $49.99, original retail $69.99 to $129.99. I'll have to check that out to see if this pricing is really that good.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Yes, the lead issue haven't been resolved to my satisfaction. IIRC, they're made in China, and my comfort level with Chinese manufacturing is at an all-time low. (I'm seriously depressed that Ford sold Volvo to a Chinese concern.)