Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Style Mini Hinge

Double Bogey
Double Bogey Posts: 635
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Vickie and I won a new mini at the Sunshine State Fest and I finally got a chance to assemble it. This one has the new style hinge unit. It is not a spring hinge as previously stated but is a major improvement over the old style. It also has a new handle similar to the larger eggs--also a big improvement.
I'll attempt to post a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

IMG_0875.jpg
He is the little one in the middle

IMG_0876.jpg
The new style handle

IMG_0877.jpg
Side view of the hinge

IMG_0878.jpg
Back view of the hinge unit

IMG_0879.jpg
Picture with top open

This little guy will serve as a great reminder of a wonderful fest. Next up Waldorf!
Larry
Aiken, SC. and
Fancy Gap, Va.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Looks pretty schweet..my first sighting of one..but I heard they were coming...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Looks great! Wish mine had those mods. Wonder if you can retrofit.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for posting - anybody know if the band will fit older minis and if they are available yet any place other than the mothership?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    So no messing with the side arms to keep it up, right?
    Thanks for posting the pics of it. Looks mo betta and sturdier.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    That new hinge is nice. I wonder if it's possible to change out the one I have on mine.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    That is new, nice setup about back.

Mike
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Bought my mini less than a month ago and now I need an upgrade. Go figure.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Nice Larry I was going to upgrade my handle but think I'll look into the cost of the whole band
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You should get that for free, not sure. Worth checking!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Congrats on winning the mini! Outstanding!
    Hey, the handle and hinge look great, a definite improvement over the old design. Now the mini looks more like the other eggs. Nice.
    Thanks for sharing the news. :)
    ....And have fun with your spankin new mini!
  • RRP
    curious...what is that in the background behind your home - there appears to be water and maybe a bridge, but is all that brown ground sand or what? Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Larry that is nice. I won mine at the Plano Fest last year and will give EGG a call to see if the new hinge can be ordered.
    Sunday mine was open and then came down, thought I was haveing to buy a new one :sick:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ron it is a golf course with dormant bermuda grass. In about a month the fairways will be green and a month later the remainder will green-up. yes, there is water and a bridge or two out there also.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Thanks Mike it has become our favorite spot in the evenings. I do need to work on some kind of overhead structure for shade.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Michael,
    I don't know why it couldn't be a retrofit. The top and bottom of the egg did not change.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Thanks Clay. It is a major improvement.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Pat the hinge is so much more stable than the old one I would certainly look into the new style. Easier to open and close and the benefits of a "real" handle.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Anne I don't see why it wouldn't. The bands appear to be the same size and they attach the same way as the old ones.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
  • RRP
    Thanks...I think I know what you mean, buddy!
    IMG_0677.jpg
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Larry thanks for the post. They come a long way with the mini. I have one of the first mini's that were ever made with the double hinge. May you have many good cooks on your new prize and enjoy it. Say hello to Vicky, wish we could have spent more time together.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Great pix, sure is a big impovement on the mini.
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Just got an E-Mail from Bruce at Customer Support for BGE. They are going to give me a new band for my Mini if I pay for shipping.
    Happy Happy.