Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Ribeye method

Sawbones
Sawbones Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking ribeye steaks on the BGE for a few months now and have tried a few different methods, they all come out pretty good. Just looking for a consistent method for 1" to 1 1/2" ribeyes to come out rare to medium rare.

What's your favorite ribeye cooking method on the BGE?

time, temp, marinades, ect.

thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    600-650F 1 minute per inch thickness on each side. Rmove from heat and drop BGE to 350-400F. Place meat back on and turn every 3-4 minutes. Pull at 120-125F
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Steaks that thin-450 direct on a CI grid til 125 Internal.NO MORE than 130 I.T. :)
  • I do mine on a raised grid ( I raised it with a second fire ring before the newer attachments became available) and over a hot flaming fire. With both vents wide open, I sear for 2 minutes on a cast iron grid, flip for 2 minutes, rotate and flip for 2 more minutes ( for perfect cross score marks) then rotate and flip for 2 more minutes with the vents closed. Then burp the top ( flashback will get you if you don't) check internal temp with the thermal pen ( get one if you don't have one) pull at 130-135 for medium rare ( temp keeps rising to 140-145 when you pull). If it is not desired temp when you check it just close the lid for another minute or two until you like it. This will work for 1 1/2" steak so adjust for 1" accordingly. The more you cook, the easier it will be to judge your flip times and doneness dependent on your thickness and heat of the fire.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Sawbones,

Hot tub them and a 500* sear/cook to 120* internal.
    Rest for ten minutes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    First, we have a cast iron grid that fits down on a spider. Dome temp is 400°-475°F. As the spider suspends the steaks just above the the burning lump there is no need for nuclear temps: the lump itself is plenty hot.
    After the sear the steaks are removed just long enougth for the cooking grid to be placed on top ot the WooII ring. This raises the coking height to around felt-level. Everything is finish roasted to desired doneness on this grid. With this method one does not have to worry about getting the BGE real hot, the sear is the same, no waiting for the temp to come back down is required, the roasting part is very forgiving, and the cook gets to take a bow!
    Tjv suggestd that if one likes additional char, a small cast iron skillet, with hanlde removed, be placed on the spider in place of the lower grid.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    ditto except I pull at 130
  • Since I am a very happily married man and have been for almost 34 years I cook the ribeyes the way my wife likes them. Raised grid direct over 400-500 degree dome temp until they are about 140 then pull them. She does not like pink at all in her steak. But she loves the steak on the BGE! Cooking two really big ones tonight!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Sawbones,

If you are cooking for two and you both like the same donenesss, then the first thing I would suggest is going to a 2" thick ribeye and divide it for serving. You will get MUCH better consistency with your cooks.

Method: Steak in a ziplock and in the sink with 86-87* water for 45 min. or so, rewarming the water as necessary. I have a large BGE with the spider and adjustable rig. Leaving the dome open, I get my fire going strong and the cast iron grid on the spider is grey-hot. S&P on the steak, then 90 sec. per side on the CI grid (dome stays open to keep from heating up the dome ceramics). Remove steak, close bottom vent, add Adjustable Rig with BGE grid on top. Close dome and then crack the bottom vent - goal is to get dome temp stable at 400* as soon as possible (to reduce the wait time).

I take the steak inside (uncovered) flip it a couple of times so it gets moist on both sides, then add Dizzy Pig Cowlick or Raising the Steak rubs to both sides, allowing it to melt in during the rest.

After 10-20 min rest, I insert a Maverick temp probe into the middle, form one side, place back on the 400* egg and wait until it reads 125* (don't open dome during this roast). Pull at 125*, place on a plate and seal in foil). Let it rest for 5-10 min., usually while getting sides ready, etc. Slice an enjoy a perfect medium rare ribeye.

Sorry so lengthy, but I'm a 'sorta' detail person. :ohmy:
  • We get 1.5-2inch thick steaks and split them (and often still have leftovers). Oil, salt and pepper, or a spice rub (Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks is our favorite).

I put the spider in, cast iron grid down on the spider, then plate setter, legs up, drip pan (makeshift from foil works), standard grid on top of plate setter.

I smoke roast the steak indirect at 250 degrees until it is a few degrees shy of my desired final temp. Then I pull out the grid, drip pan and plate setter, and open the vents to get the egg screaming hot, and sear the steak down on the cast iron grid very briefly.