Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled beef? Good ideas?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have any pulled beef recipes or good ideas of what I can do with chuck roasts that I'd like to introduce to my BGE this weekend?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    07_08_0007_28_05.jpg
    <p />Q-Ball, - check out the link - it may at least give you a starting point. Good luck!

[ul][li]Pulled BBQ Beef[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Q-Ball,
    I had read on Ray's forum about chuck rolls a while back and decided to try one (I should note that I did it on one of my other cookers and not my egg). The rolls start out around 20 lbs and cook up very easily with about 25% loss in weight after cooking. I followed the directions that I received and loosely followed them: Smoke at 225 - 250 until the internal temp reaches 165. At that point wrap in foil then back into the smoker until they reach about 190 - 195 (the standard probe test of no resisitance is what I used). The meat about fell apart into long strands of delicate goodness when I went to serve it. I have cooked about 6 more since then for various functions. They seem to be very forgiving and are quite delectable. Goes great on a hogie type roll with whatever you want to throw in with it.[p]Now then, a chuck roast is cut from the chuck roll, so I don't why it wouldn't come out the same way. Any rub that you would normally use for beef should work just fine.[p]Good luck with it
    Matt.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    South O,
    We've done ours with chuck roast - both blade in and boneless. Our technique is nearly the same without the wrapping: just leave it until the internal temp is 190-200. The Egg is very forgiving in terms of maintaining moisture, and the fat in a chuck roast works just like the fat in a pork butt. they are both shoulder cuts. Enjoy.

• Unknown
    Options
    Q-Ball, I did one just the way the others said except I did it underneath a full brisket. When I cut the fat off the brisket I put it on top of the chuck roast used a raised grid with the brisket on top of the roast. I inserted quite a few slivers of garlic into the chuck roast first and then used the same Dizzy Dust on both. Very good.

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    Q-Ball,
    Did mine just like my Brisket, Covered with Dizzy dust. It cooks for almost as long as brisket. Pull at 200, and let sit for a hour wrapped. Man it was tasty. Great for sandwiches.
    Enjoy!
    Jeff