Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone want to share a good smoked salmon recipe?

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Well, I went through the beginners mode where I cooked a bit of everything, actually a lot of everything using all sorts of spices and rubs. Then I went through the minimalist mode where I cooked a lot of everything with minimal spices and rubs, really testing what each of them do to the flavor of the meat. Now I think I'm in the seafood mode. My folks do a lot of fishing this time of year and bring back a LOT of fish/seafood. Cant beat that fresh stuff.[p]Anyway, I have some salmon fillets, not large ones, about 6-8 pound fish whole, fillets are about 2 pounds each. I've cooked and smoked them before but was wondering if anyone has a special recipe that they'd like to or be willing to share. I plan on smoking some for Moms day this weekend. Thanks in advance.[p]Troy

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    sprinter,
    I feel salmon is best when kept simple.
    Cure filets with a layer of sea salt, few sprigs of dill,layer of sugar (raw or tubanido) and then little more salt- salt/sugar just so it looks like a light layer of snow had fallen.[p]Set wraped in fridge overnight.[p]next morning ..rinse thouroughly (you feel the flesh has firmed up a bit-and will see moisture drawn from the fish in the dish.
    Set it to cool by a fan or cool place for about an hour (at fist I was sacred to do this..but it is harmless and vital for smok to penetrate).[p]I am not a big green egg user yet. I use just a few coals and go from 90*- 230* over the course of about 4 hours.[p]It always seems to taste better teh next day or so. Alder and apple and cherry chips work well for a complex smoke.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    alt,[p]Thanks for the idea, ever use any other herbs other than dill? Unfortunately the dill in the garden is not edible yet but have plendy of fresh rosemary, parsley, basil, thyme, and oregano. Use as substitutes?[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    05_03_0017_21_03.jpg
    <p />sprinter, I did Gretl's 'Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze' last week - it was really great. The recipe is in the new recipe section and also at the link.[p]It was simple and had lots of flavor!

[ul][li]Salmon[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'll second that emotion!
    I did the same Monday night and used alder chips...it was excellent, moist and tender!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    sprinter,
    Not a recipe, but if you want a great sauce for salmon; Cosco (Price Club) has a "Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce" that is wonderful. It has a bit of a kick to it. The note on the bottle says "A Southwestern Mesquite Sauce".[p]TR

• Unknown
    Options
    sprinter,
    sure..my method of choice has changed somewhat ..
    The big thing I found is to get a great smooth pink consistant texture and appearence with smoked salmon is time.[p]If you heat to 300's in 1-4 hours, youll get great product, but not like slow gradual increased temp's that go for hours and hours. Ideally 90's to not much more than 180 -200. After many hours ..I've gone as far as 24 hours the flesh changes in texture from moist to very constiant and flavorful meat. Hot smoking with moisture causes too moist of a finished product I feel with the fatty oils pooling and curdeling ontop of the fish giveing it a less than desirable look and quality. Treat it like alchemy. Cure it well and then lightly smoke for extended time at low temps- quite a feat at times too. Cold weather is a catylist rahter than a hinderance. Hope this helps.[p] your ol pal alt