Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL dome vs. Grill Temp Go MSU!

stevesails
stevesails Posts: 990
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anybody share with me the usual difference between the dome temp. and the grill temp on a XL. not sure if it really is important, just a fun fact I'd like to know.
XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    So far I am seeing roughly 30 degrees. Go MSU and OSU Then you are on your own, and it is go OSU all the way.
  • I agree, 28-30 degrees. Love my X-LG BGE!
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    I checked yesterday on a cook and mine was within 3 F of each other. Which seems very different than typically reported on the forum.

I was in last half of cooking a steak at ~375 F range. I was trying to bring up the temp. Bit of trouble getting the temp up. I'm using a reducing ring as I mentioned before. So playing with the bottom slide and daisy to learn affects on the temp.

I'm trying a gasket between the shell wall and the fire ring. Trying to ensure that the air is not bypassing the grate or holes in fire box. Still too early for me to tell if different as using my reducing ring quite a bit lately.

Daniel
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Depends on a few things. When I put 30 lbs of butt on the XL it can be off as much as 60-70 degrees for awhile. Usually it'll come back, to within 20-30 degrees, but sometimes it won't. Once I actually saw it at the same temp, but this was a mistake as I ran out of fuel and what I saw was the fire dying while the dome stayed steady.

I use to let it bother me quite a bit and would have to monitor the different temps all the time. Now I guess I've mellowed a bit, and not only does it not bother me I don't even measure it any more. My ET-73 probe or DigiQ probe gets clipped to the dome thermometer. (A quick and easy way to calibrate the dome thermo.)