Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE transport: Anyone made an Egg Crate?

Options
Mr. JBUG99999
Mr. JBUG99999 Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are having a new patio built out back. Our Egg currently sits on a slab that will be removed and replaced with a larger slab. During that time our Egg will have to be relocated. Additionally, we plan on taking our Egg on the road sooner than later. Because of this I am going to make an "Egg Crate" so I can transport and relocate our Egg as needed.

Here's what I'm thinking...
I'll use 2x4's for the sides. One side would be hinged. Maybe all four for easier placement and removal. Some type of form would be used to help ensure the Egg didn't bounce around.

The final product will have to be sturdy enough to handle the egg being stored in it for possibly a month or more.

Has anyone else taken on this type of project? Got any tips?

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    How about something more simple,like this?

010-1.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Check the tips section of my website below..not sure if that's what you're lookinig for or not....
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i followed sparky's plans and my small goes camping with us all the time works like a charm ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    It is not exactly the same application, but when I bought my Egg at Waldorf, I built a carrier to bring it home.

Sorry, but I do not have any pictures...

It was just a square frame made with 2X4s that was designed to give the Egg a sturdy base and come up just below the hinge. The dimensions were pretty tight, so there was no room to rock, side to side.

It would have needed to be lower, if I had wanted to open the Egg and use it.

The 2X4's around the top gave a great place to lift. With the weight of the Egg, there was no need to do anything to keep it from bouncing.

Someone has a picture of a good carrier for the small (Mad Max??) that I used as the design basis.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I was so slow at typing, and you got several much better responses.

Good luck.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    We have a couple just like this that we lend to people to transport their new Eggs home...they are easy to make and work great.
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    If you use the Search Window and type in Egg Transporter you can find a lot of posts on the subject.

Or just click here;

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=Egg+transporter&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

Spring "Carry Me Gently" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    You don't mention what size egg... here is one with a hinge for the mini so it will fit in the trunk of my car:

P8211210.jpg

P8211215.jpg

Hope that helps.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Misippi Egger and I are carrying three LBGE to a cook in two weeks... here are the pics of our "EGG CRATE"...
    It is designed to fit the front of the trailer... I'll post some pics of them loaded and strapped in after our trip...

base is 3/4 plywood
    DSC_1167.jpg

22" spaced area for each egg with 15" risers
    DSC_1170.jpg

closed back and middle sides - since pics were shot, eye hooks added for tie downs, sealer paint, and test a test fitting.
    DSC_1172.jpg
    Kent Madison MS
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    Spring Chicken wrote:
    If you use the Search Window and type in Egg Transporter you can find a lot of posts on the subject.

Or just click here;

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=Egg+transporter&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

Spring "Carry Me Gently" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Thanks for the suggestion, Spring Chicken! That helped a lot! We weren't sure what to search under.

Fl Grillin Girl: We have a large that we will be transporting in a smaller SUV.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!