Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Enlightenment

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You are never too old to learn, and Nature Boy has just provided me with some valuable brisket information that I'm sure most everyone else already knew. I never realized that the thick end of a packer brisket was actually part the flat with another muscle (the point) sort of glued on top by another fat layer. I was always just fat, dumb and happy believing it was all just one big piece of meat with the skinny end being the flat and the big end being the point. [p]This all came up when I posted a brisket pic last weekend and showed my ignorance by pretending like I knew what I was talking about when I cut it into two distinct pieces. I figured that the cow probably wouldn't mind, so I just started cutting. I know now what I wish I had known then. However, maybe I've invented a new cut of meat. You've gotta understand that I'm from Lubbock, and well....growing up we didn't have much contact with the outside world until Bobby Knight showed up. [p]From what I'm reading on the Forum, it seems that in most Egger's brisket cooks they primarily favor flats. Is this correct, and is there anyone else like me who prefers the fat laden, artery clogging large end of a 97 cents a pound packer brisket? [p]Thanks Chris, today I am older, fatter and wiser.[p]Your Texas Buddy,[p]Mike[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Lawn Ranger,
    I've always read that whole briskets cook up better, but only recently have I been able to find one. I've always been forced to buy flats.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger,
    I think if you cut off the flat (after its done) and cook the fatty end until its a meteorite its called burnt ends. Usually takes about 4 or 5 more hours of cooking after the flat is done. [p]Then again .. maybe I'm cooking the wrong end for burnt ends. I usually slice the flat and cube the thick end (after another few hours).[p]mmmmm.... brisket.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Lawn Ranger,
    Always happy to pass on info dude :-) Glad I was able to enlighten. [p]I am thinkin' that the reason most folks are cooking flats is that is what is available. In many places (like around here in the DC area) it takes some hunting to find whole briskets. Flats are also nice to cook when it is just for the family. Still, a whole brisket cooks up better, and leftovers are righteous.[p]When the flat is done, you can slice off the point (right along that layer of fat), and return the point to the cooker to render some more of the fat. That there is the best eatin (IMO of course)....and sometimes referred to as "burnt ends" (not a great sounding name is it).[p]Happy brisketeering!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I always cook whole packers. Can't really say if I like 'em better than flats, 'cuz I've never cooked just a flat. Of course, I'm usually the guy who loads the cooker full, 'cuz it might as well be full if I'm going to cook for 16 hours anyway! Oh, and leftovers aren't bad.[p]When I cook packers, if I have time, I'll remove the point from the flat when the flat is done, and return the point to the grill for a couple more hours to render more fat out of it. The point absolutely rocks for sandwiches (must be a fat thing.)[p]R

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Chris,
    Old Bordello checking in here. I think you're right as I have a big time problem here trying to find a packer brisket. This is a problem as I have injected thousands of pounds of em when I was working in the sausage kitchen in S.F. Now I'm in AZ. and on the buying end. (LOL)[p]If I can get a brisket flat it anywhere from $2.99 to $5.99 a pound, pork butt start's at $1.99 a pound on sale and goes up from there.[p]Tri tip, no problem, they are always in the meat case.[p]Cheers,beers & boobs, LOL
    Bordello

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    New Bob,[p]I know the Sam's near me always has the packers in the meat case. Might want to give them a look.[p]"Old Bob"

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Bob,
    I have tried, joined Sam's for that reason but here in AZ. only flats. Where are you???? LOL[p]Regards,
    Bordello

• New Bob,
    I haven't checked the briskets yet, still mastering other cuts of meat yet, but the Sams Club at I-10 & Ray rd in Chandler has pork butts for $1.36/lb (as of last friday). They rarely have them out in the display case, but if you ask the buther he can get you a 2-pack of 8 lb'ers from the freezer. They may also have packer cuts of brisket in hiding, never hurts to ask.