Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket ????

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long would it take to smoke a 2-4LB Brisket?

Comments

• Our Nicky
    Our Nicky Posts: 44
    Options
    Well, even with a small cut you still have to break down the collagen so I'm guessing it will take several hours at around 250F. I would have thought at least six. I do whole ones overnight for around twelve to fourteen hours to an internal around 190F and let rest for a couple of hours in a warming oven.

I think it's more about the time it takes to make it chewable than the size of the cut
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    You will probably get to temp. in about 3 hrs. if you smoke at 250/275 but I don’t think you will like the results. It sounds like you have a small, very well trimmed flat that will tend to dry out and remain tough. I would recommend wrapping it after about one hr. and it should soften up a bit. Good luck with it and let us know how it comes out.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks Guy, this will be my first shot at brisket. What would be the smallest size you would get for an overnight cook?

Thanks again
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    I would start with a wohle packer, at least 10 pounds.

Sounds like a lot of meat - your right :laugh: but a brisket in the 10 - 12 pound range is ideal for a first run. A smaller one dries out easier.

Look for a beast, that has a nice fat layer on top. Perhaps ya have the chance to inject it ?
    Helps imho to keep it moist.

Cook it fat side down @ 230 - 250 F until ya reach 160 F internal. Wrap it in foil add a bit liquid and cook it until finished. Ya don´t have a internal temp goal, goal is a tender brisket. So, poke the brisket with a tooh pic or a termo probe. If the probe goes into the brisket like in warm butter, ya have won.
    A 10 pounder taakes approx 12 - 15 hours. Great for an overnighter ;)

Keep it for 2 hours in a cooler.

Reheat leftovers or freeze it, after vaccumizing.
    Good look and take pics !
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    2 and 4 is a big difference. Assuming it's 4, I think you're gonna need 7-8 hours to get it tender. Thinking 4-5 hours at 250 til you get a nice bark, then wrap tight in foil to cook another hour or two then rest for an hour or two. Just a rough idea off the top of my head, but maybe it'll help.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cali Fireman
    Options
    Nature Boy wrote:
    2 and 4 is a big difference. Assuming it's 4, I think you're gonna need 7-8 hours to get it tender. Thinking 4-5 hours at 250 til you get a nice bark, then wrap tight in foil to cook another hour or two then rest for an hour or two. Just a rough idea off the top of my head, but maybe it'll help.

Cheers!
    Chris

Would this technique work for tri tip as well?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    No, a tri-tip doesn't have near as much collagen, so it is tender if you cook it to medium rare (like a big steak or a rib roast). You could probably even eat it like sushi if you cut it thin across the grain.

For a brisket (like a chuck roast), you need the cooking time to make a tough meat tender. You cook a tri-tip that long, it'll be tough and dry.

Cheers, and happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ