Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOK? worth it

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw a reasonably priced wok for grilling with a diameter that might work on our small Egg.

Anyone have opinions on wokking on the Egg?

This is the wok in question
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B001AH5JTY/bge-20

Comments

• Thought I'd share a side for bbq. This guy has a (whisper it!) Vegan cookbook for soul food (huh?) but the collard recipe is fabulous. It's fast and a good side even with bwahahahah MEAT. This is my take on his recipe. The greens are tender and well flavored but not overcooked and slimy.

Bunch collards, destemmed and washed and
    cut into thin chiffonade strips
    1 Orange
    2 tbs good olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup raisins

Cut the collards into chiffonade by rolling the leaves lengthwise and slicing in shreds. They will look thinner than what comes out of your paper shredder. Put on 3-4 qts boiling water and boil the collards for 8-10 minutes. Dump into a colander, chill with cold water and press out all the water.

In a frying pan (or on a pan on the Egg) gently saute the chopped garlic in oil. Toss in the drained collards and coat them well. Then put in juice of one orange and the raisins. (If yours are dry-ish, plump up a tad in water in the microwave and press-drain the raisins. Or plump in a bit of hot water, drain.) Coat the greens well with the orange juice mixture, serve.

If anyone is interested in the book (say, if you have guests who are veggie and won't eat pulled pork, like you are going to bother inviting people like that) it's this book (there is a bbq tempeh, bite your tongue, woman!) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/ame-20
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    I use my wok all the time on my small & Large egg. You can use do so many different dishes with the wok.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Right now I have too many other things that I want to but. I can't buy everything at once. I really want to buy the thermapen but it's a little steep. A wok looks like a lot of fun though. That's what presents are for :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Get the thermapen as soon as you can swing it :) it is like night and day to be cooking ot temp and not time and this makes it fast and simple.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    we wok on the egg about once a week. last night was a small head of cabbage sliced thin with a large egg sliced thin and shredded carrot. it was wonderful. a little balsamic vinegar to top it off on the plates and I ate that before my pork tenderloin! it did not even need butter or anything else. put that on first and cooked it about half way then the pork and while the pork rested I fished off the cabbage.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Mike, did you look at the link to the wok? it is the one with holes and unless you want to cook very small food items I think it is useless.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Mainegg wrote:
    Get the thermapen as soon as you can swing it :) it is like night and day to be cooking ot temp and not time and this makes it fast and simple.
    OK, I'm not good with peer pressure so I'm going to buy one today...Thanks for spending my money :woohoo:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Thanks Jim did not see that. When I here wok, then I just think solid wok. Not one with holes.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    In a word YEP its worth it. Below are my first cooks on a wok. Easy, fast and goooood!! Wish I could help on the wok in question but I don't have a Small and got my wok at The Wok Shop on line.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=838405&catid=1#

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=834359&catid=1#
  • Jupiter Jim wrote:
    Mike, did you look at the link to the wok? it is the one with holes and unless you want to cook very small food items I think it is useless.
    Jupiter Jim

I like that wok for grilling rough chop veggies(red onion, mushrooms, zucchini, red or yellow peppers) tossed in some EVOO and s&p. Fill 'er up and grill for about 35 to 45 minutes. The veggies are tender but not watery(important w/squash). A little char is nice. I think they are my wife's favorite side.

What I hate is cleaning the thing.
  • Jupiter Jim wrote:
    Jupiter Jim

I like that wok for grilling rough chop veggies(red onion, mushrooms, zucchini, red or yellow peppers) tossed in some EVOO and s&p. Fill 'er up and grill for about 35 to 45 minutes. The veggies are tender but not watery(important w/squash). A little char is nice. I think they are my wife's favorite side.

What I hate is cleaning the thing.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Woking on the egg is a fantastic. I recommend going thru TJV's ceramic grill store for a wok and spider ring that will fit your egg.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    You will be very happy with the wok shop.Great customer service,Quality authentic products.
    www.thewokshop.com
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Serial Griller wrote:
    You will be very happy with the wok shop.Great customer service,Quality authentic products.
    www.thewokshop.com

I've been checking out that site and they have some pretty cool stuff with really good prices. I'm getting ready to order one of their hand hammered woks soon.
  • Serial Griller
    Hi Kenny,
    If you have any questions you can ask Ms. Tane Chan at the wok shop.She is very nice and helpful.They have the best customer service.I have the 16" round bottom for my lge egg.The most popular is the 14". The 16" works fine for me.If you plan on getting a Medium egg I'd get the 14".I use my spider legs down with my wok.It gets plenty hot.some use theirs legs up to get closer to the coals.

Kenny 13 wrote:
    Serial Griller wrote:
    www.thewokshop.com

I've been checking out that site and they have some pretty cool stuff with really good prices. I'm getting ready to order one of their hand hammered woks soon.
  • Kenny 13
    I had planned on getting the 16" round bottom to use with my large.
  • Serial Griller
    You will love it.I suggest you get the spatula to go with it and the bamboo cleaning thing.
  • Kenny 13
    Yeah, I plan on getting those as well. My AR & spider came in yesterday, so a wok just kind of seems like one of the next logical eggcessories :)
  • OK what size wok then (appreciate the info and recipes)