Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mold

Options
relaxer
relaxer Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Off Topic
went to use my egg the other day and i notice i have mold growing on the inside, what can i do to get rid of problem and not to have this happen again

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    light it and run it more often, it easily burns off.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Fire that sucker up to about 600-700 degrees for 30 minutes...no more mold and a good temp to throw on a steak...2 problems solved...mold & hunger... :)
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    Fire up the egg more often- it keeps that mold away.
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    hi temp burn...and use the egg more often!
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    Only gone for 10 days and mold on ceramics and my new AR from CGS :( Must have been humid this last week, maybe the cover was a bad idea... Did a burn off and about to cook flat iron steak and a wok session after that ... if the rain holds off.
  • Mrs Lenick
    Options

I'm so glad I found this thread, even though it is old. I found the same thing today when I opened the EGG and I was really surprised. I thought I did something wrong that caused it and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did the right thing to clean it out.  Once the mold was burned away and I'd scraped the grill, I threw on a beautiful ribeye and some fresh asparagas spears. Delish.

• Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options
    I have same problem.  Have egg at small cabin and this time of year don't get there too often.  Last two times, tons of mold when I opened it.  Really gross.  I scraped some off and burned it at 400 plus for an hour, and figured it was fine, but would like to avoid it.  I've been closing vent, using rain cap, and covering.  This time, I covered and left daisy wheel open and vent open.  I'm hoping that helps some.  Any other ideas?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Give it to me ... I'll use it more often ...  :D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • The_Buffalo
    Options
    Fire that sucker up to about 600-700 degrees for 30 minutes...no more mold and a good temp to throw on a steak...2 problems solved...mold & hunger... :)
    Bonus! 
    Coming to you from the Mothership!