Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork /BBQ GURU question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have egged pulled pork pervoiusly @ about 205 degrees for 22 to 24 hrs. with great sucess.I am now waiting for my BBQ GURU to arrive. The question is, is my cooking time going to change. I have seen some recent posts stating 8-9 hour cooks. I'm wondering if those shorter higher temp cooks yield the same results as the ones that I experienced?

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Tim H.,
    Is that 205° dome temp? How large were those butts that took 22-24 hours? [p]

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    The only difference you should notice is between the dome and grill temps. Without the Guru you probably monitored the dome temp using the thermometer. With the Guru you will be monitoring grill temps, although some people attach the Guru's grill probe to the thermometer stem to still monitor dome temp. It still shouldn't make a significant difference in the cook time. My butt cooks still range between 17-20 hours @ 225 degrees, Guru or not.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Tim H.,
    best method is to use the guru the way you cook.
    if you cook at 205, let the guru control 205.
    as long as the temps are the same the time will remain the same also.[p]i set my guru to 180 untill the plateau has finnished then jack it up to 225 for a frinnish of 200 internal

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    jwitheld,
    Are you using your Guru clip on the dome temp. probe or the grill?????? There can be a big difference here depending on the set-up.[p]We have Guru being used both way but they are not the same.[p]Best Regards,
    New Bob