Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mopping

chitownegger
chitownegger Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. My first post here. I have found some great information here. Seems like such a good group of folks cooking up a storm and having a good time. Anyway, my question concerns "mopping". Is this something I should be doing when I am slow cooking ribs and butt? I haven't had any real poor results not mopping, just wondering if it makes a huge difference. If you do mop, what type of mopping sauce do you prefer? [p]Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• chitownegger, I rarely mop, hence our dirty floors...JK. Really maybe it's just plain laziness. Doing a real good job all through the process and having a good sauce to serve with, has always seemed good to me. But I do for a change baste or mop at the end and I think it is most common to use a thinner vinegar base mop that will do more toward keeping the meat moist and letting the flavor you already had going there to come through, IMO.

• Thanks for your comments. I know it wasn't a terribly interesting topic, but I always wondered weather I should be doing something to the meat while I was sitting watching the ballgame with a beer.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    chitownegger,[p]Sox or Cubs?[p]Jethro
  • Jethro,[p]I'm a lifelong diehard sox fan.
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    chitownegger,[p]They're having a great year so far, and Lee is tearing it up. Hopefully they will make the playoffs.[p]I am lifelong Cub fan, but not a Sox basher, in fact I've probably been to just about as many Sox games as Cubs games. I always cheer for the Sox when I am there.[p]What part of Chitown are you filling with smoke from the Egg? I doing my part to keep the smell of meat cooking over a flame in the air around Evanston.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Jethro,[p]My wife and I live in Bucktown off of North Ave. She actually works in Evanston off on Davis st. for a company called IDEO. I get people yelling at me all the time from North ave. askign what smells so good.
    She's a Cub fan, so I'm not a Cub hater either. We go to a few more Sox games just because its easier to get tickets to nowadays.