Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham from wild pig

Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to gdenby for the only response!!!!!!!

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Sorry just saw this but did post below...Good luck.
    Larry
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I saw the post but have never done wild pig.I have some ideas but none are tried and true.I would'nt want to be the cause of a ruined cook! :blush: :(
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I was glad to offer some pointers, but as is so often the case, a bit of googling helps.

For instance:

www.texasboars.com/articles/recipes.html

has a few recommendations.

After enough good results with strange meats (my most exotic was a bison heart), I'm inclined to believe that any reasonable method on the Egg is going to give good, if not better, food.

Let us know how it comes out. You could be the guru of wild hams, stage 1.
  • Did a shoulder from a Russian Hog - not sure if it is similar to a ham from a wild pig but came out fine. A friend dropped it off - shot the day before and never frozen. Not much fat on it and didn't inject or anything out of the ordinary. Smoked it just like a store bought butt. It was a coupe years ago.

101_2126640x480.jpg

101_2129640x480.jpg

101_2131640x480.jpg

101_2133640x480.jpg
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    To all who responded, a big thank you. I feel a little more confident after reading your posts. I'll let you know how it turns out, including pics.
    BTW, the pics look great Frank.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl