Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wal-Mart lump

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I see my local Wal-Mart is now selling a "Sam's" brand of lump,
10 lbs. for about $4.80. While the price is not quite as good as
True-Value, it appears that this brand may be more readily accessible
for me, as I have to "beg" the hardware store each time to order a
new supply. Has anyone tried this lump? Is it any good? Thanks,
in advance!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Harold Lee Roy Beauchamp,[p]I think its Royal Oak branded for Sam's. I called Royal Oak last week when JJ posted their 800 number. Man, what nice people I found. I spoke with a lady who was obviously in sales in my area of the US (mid atlantic). She was telling me all the places they sold lump to - my gosh, it should be everywhere! She mentioned Sam's and another warehouse store but none near me. Its obvious that lump is all around and available but at the price you mentioned - requires nagging. I am quite good at it (learned from my wife who is a licensed expert)so I have done it often at True Value stores. I found that they have to buy a min amount every time so they may not be too willing if your only getting a bag or two. I now buy 4 bags at a time. [p]The moral of the story is - call Royal Oak (maybe JJ will post that number again) and get some ideas where you can ask to have some ordered if their store carries it in their warehouse. Many clerks won't know they can even order it or know what it is without a stock number.[p]I was curious after talking to this lady for 20 min who used lump charcoal. I tried it in a cheap BBQ grill once and it did nothing-big nothing. I even used fluid to try to lite it - it must have an oxygen source blowing directly on it or it won't burn (typical pure carbon). During our conversation, I never mentioned what "I" use it for. So when I asked her who did use it and in what she said, "Many use it with a type of ceramic smoker/cooker called a Green Egg". I was amazed she knew of it but as knowlegable as this lady was - I shouldn't have been. I still don't know who uses this lump other than us but someone must. [p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M,
    ROYAL OAK INDUSTRIES:[p]1-800-241-3955

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Tim M,
    Funny that you should mention talking to the lady about the BGE, last week when I purchased my lump from the wholesaler I did the same. I asked the lady who ran the place if she had ever heard of the BGE. She ran back to the office and came back with a brochure. She said that she was looking into it and sure seemed eggcited when I was telling her about it. I directed her to this forum if she had any questions.[p]Happy Lumping,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Harold Lee Roy Beauchamp,---thanks for the info---am in the middle of trying to get WalMart to carry it over here in Hawaii----can you get me the product number---or even the IPC code off the bag? The gal in ordering here said that would help her. Thanks for your help![p]KT

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Harold Lee Roy Beauchamp,[p]I probably shouldn't even mention this here until I get more information, but I will anyway ;)[p]Your local Ace hardware can get Royal Oak in 10lb bags. I don't know the price yet, but it IS in their stock book. I have the stock # upstairs & can supply it if needed...[p]Kevin
  • Kona Tim, I will check the number for you this weekend,
    during my Saturday trip to the local Wal-Mart. Harold

• Kona Tim,
    The lump I purchased at my local Wal-Mart is called Real
    Flavor Lump Charcoal. They charged me 5.97 for a 10 lb.
    bag. Sorry, there was no product I.D. number on the bag.
    This brand was distributed for Wal-Mart by the American
    Charcoal Company, P.O. Box 410042, Creve Coeur, Missouri,
    Zip 63141-0042. Hope this info. is of some help to you.
    Harold

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Harold, hi and my apology...[p]I just found your thread here and I may have doubled up on ya with the info. [p]Good Job and I purchased some myself..$4.97 here in Central Iowa. I used the product ID from the sales ticket. 007284560110
    Thanks...C~W