Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long until Temp is stable?

Options
Hamm
Hamm Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long do you wait to make sure your temp is stable. If it is on 275 for 10 minutes, would you call that stable, or would you wait 20 or 30 minutes before it is good?

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Hamm,[p]I'm in the wait longer camp...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Coleslaw
    Coleslaw Posts: 46
    Options
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Hamm,
    IMO (in my opinion)
    If you are doing a low and slow ... I would shoot for a lower temperature. Something like 220 or lower.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hamm,
    I hope to be able to answer that question in about a week, but for now, realize that until the ceramic shell heats up to the air temp, some of your heat from the fire is going into heating up the shell. Once the shell is up to air temp, then the air temp can go up some since the heat from the fire is no longer being used to heat the ceramic. I've had my egg creep up for a couple of hours.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Hamm, oddly, when my temp hits just lower then the correct temp spot, I set up the openings I need for that temp. It holds there pretty well, an exception would be if a chuck of wood got going and raise it a little, but then it always comes down. Once its set, I hardly have to keep adjusting. I think we all know where our Eggs like to be for that perfect temp, its just a learning curve. A credit card space for the top and bottom vents get me 250 right on every time.

• Hamm
    Hamm Posts: 73
    Options
    tach18k,
    That is where mine is at, good explanantion. Credit card at 250.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hamm,[p]Before putting on the food, seems I'll wait at least a half hour if not more until the ceramic has had time to heat up, the smoke has turned to a nice thin blue & whispy and the heavy smoke has burned off.[p]I figure if you're putting the effort into making a good spread, you should wait until the cooker tells you it's ready.[p]Cheers,
    john[p]