Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split top bun progress - for Hornhonk et. al.

mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made some more progress on the homemade split top frank buns.

King Arthur New England bun pan. Used 3/4 of Peter Reinhart's recipe for soft white bread from the Bread Baker's Apprentice (variation 1 with dry milk, and half butter - for flavor/half shortening - for softness), initial rise for 2 hours. Divided into 10 individual rolls (about 3 ounces each).

bunpan.jpg

Let it rise 90 minutes more before baking at 400 for 14 minutes.

Still a little "rich", not as light as I'd like. Need to try a version without egg, perhaps.... But we're getting there.

splittop2.jpg

splittop.jpg

Michelle
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Looks great to me. I can see them being used for a lot more than hot dogs.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Looking good....if I didn't know better, I'd say that they came from New England! :laugh:
    Those would be scrumptious with some lobsta salad in them :woohoo: .
    Keep up the great work!!!
  • Have you tried the Reinhart white bread variation (2, I think) using buttermilk? You might like the flavor better...I think you can reduce the other fats (butter/shortening) when you use the buttermilk and still end up with a tender roll.
  • mkc
    Hungry Celeste wrote:
    Have you tried the Reinhart white bread variation (2, I think) using buttermilk?

Not yet - I chose variation 1 because of Peter's comment (in the book) that it made great hot dog and hamburger buns.

I'll add variation 2 to the trials.

My "target" to clone is a brand called Country Kitchen than we buy at Hannaford in the summer. It's a little higher in sugar than JJ Nissen brand so it toasts up a little nicer. And according to their website, highly recommended for Maine lobster rolls....

frankfurt-rolls.jpg

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Where did you get the pan? I don't think KA sells them anymore...
  • mkc
    Midnight Smoker wrote:
    Where did you get the pan? I don't think KA sells them anymore...

They're a seasonal item at KA. I would expect them back in stock in a few months.

I also see they're on Amazon for about the same price:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UNMZQ2?ie=UTF8&tag=robsrancwood-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002UNMZQ2

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Michelle, look ar you! Those look super! I guess I'm an idiot...I filled the whole dang pan with dough, all the way to the top. :blink: Country Kitchen brand is one of my favorites, too. You are doing great, Thanks ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Michelle, I'd say you are on a mission!! :) Hope you find the sweet spot!

I'll have to try Country Kitchen... assuming I can find them. The ones I have tried recently (Freihofer's and Hearthstone) don't grill as nicely as I'd like. Could be the griller though. :blush:

Never made my own lobsta rolls. Love 'em, just never made my own. It's time to give it a try. Until then, I'll have to "settle" for Pearls.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mkc
    hornhonk wrote:
    Michelle, look ar you! Those look super! I guess I'm an idiot...I filled the whole dang pan with dough, all the way to the top. :blink: Country Kitchen brand is one of my favorites, too. You are doing great, Thanks ;)

Steve,

You are NOT an idiot - the instructions from KA for the pan say to fill it with a rectangle of dough... And that's what I did previously and wasn't happy with the result.

I decided to eggsperiment with making separate rolls for each after seeing that blog post that was referenced - and it seemed to work well. You still slice down the middle of each roll to about 3/4 the thickness, BUT they pull apart into rolls just like the commercial ones. 3 ounces of dough (roughly 85-90 grams) per roll seems to be about right, which works out to about a 3-cup-of-flour recipe. And definitely no less than 2 tablespoons of sugar...

-M
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • hornhonk
    Is this your final recipe or are you still experimenting? :side:
  • mkc
    Steve,

I'm still experimenting - these are good, but they are not quite there yet. I know the size of recipe, the amount of flour and sugar, now I need to get the same flavor but a less-rich/moist body/texture. I'm hopeful on the Reinhart buttermilk recipe I'll be trying later this week. And if that isn't it, I have another to try after that.

It only took me 16 years to find what I think is the right NY style pizza dough for us, but then I've only been really trying for the last year... ok 2..... I'm nothing if not tenacious :silly:

Good thing I love to cook/bake...
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • hornhonk
    I'm going to owe you big time for all your effort! :laugh: