Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron - keeping clean

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What can I do to keep the brown sticky stuff, that normally collects when smoking, from accumulating on my ceramic CI/DO. Or, what can I do to make it easier to clean?

I realize its just the hazards of smoking with a ceramic CI/DO, but...I really like this thing and want to keep it clean, purdy, and useful for a long time.

Wrap it in aluminum foil?
Coat with cooking oil...on the outside?
Give up and go buy another one that is just destined to get nasty on the outside?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hi, Mukl. I assume you are referring to Le Creuset enameled type cookware. I have asked that question here myself and have been told that it cleans up quite nicely after use on the egg. I happen to also have seasoned black cast iron so I haven't used my LC on the egg yet. When/if I do, I will attempt to clean it with Barkeeper's Friend. Good stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I don't use my enamled on the Egg. It's not that I fear it will become damaged or impossible to clean, I just dont want to have to put in the extra effort to clean it when the seasoned CI works fine.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Mostly I use my seasoned CI in the Egg…But, I have also used my enameled cast.
    I’ll give you that it looks like hell when it comes out, but normal dish washing detergent, pretty hot water and some elbow grease works well in getting it clean.
    I’ve also given’ the wash water an extra blast of ammonia upon occasion, when it’s been real bad. Seems to help!