Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinate and Freeze Opinions Please

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy! I remembered today about an interesting happening that made me start a thinkin'. My sister in law brought these pork chops over a year or so ago. That was pre-egg days, but even cooked on gas, I remember them being some of the best chops I ever had. I remember telling her she should market them frozen.[p]Turns out she marinates them with a bunch of goodies including garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce. Then she freezes them. [p]Thaw them out and throw them on. Pre-marinated.
I remember them being excellent, and I was wondering if anyone has experimented, or has knowledge about marinating and freezing.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    are ya all still on speakin' terms with your sister-in-law? Well if ya are, call her and find out what she done and how she done it! Pretty simple, huh?
    Really it sounds fantastic! My brother's late wife did something like that! That & her dark russian rye bread recipe is long gone unfortunately! I'd have her back without the recipes in an instant though![p]Dr. Chicken

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p] Can't imagine why it wouldn't work. However, if there is something in the marinade with enzymes (e.g., pineapple juice), it may still act to break down the meat on the surface resulting in a mushy texture (it's a theory, anyway). You could also just make up a big batch of marinade and freeze that. Thaw it out when you're ready to use it. Here a link from someone suggesting the same procedure.[p]-MikeO
    [ul][li]Freezing Marinaded Beef[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    Yep. Simple. She buys these huge packs of chops, and marinates them in batches of ziplocks. Yanks em out, thaws them, and from what I could tell, no adverse affects from the freezing-while-marinating scheme.[p]She probably does it different every time, but Some soy sauce, a whole bunch of garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and sugar are almost always in there. Some cracked or cayenne pepper maybe. Maybe some chopped up scallions.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I've been doing that with my cuts of meat for a long time and you're right, its awesome. Around here, we're near St. Louis, theres a steak house called Andreas. Arguably the best steak I've ever had, short of my own. They sell their sauce/marinade in the local area (not sure how far they distribute) and its great. I take the chops, roasts, steaks etc. and add some andreas, put them in the freezer and they come out terrific. I even think that the salts and vinegars break down the callogens in the meat a bit 'cause I swear they're more tender when frozen in the marinade. Would highly recommend this method if you have to freeze some of your cuts of meat. Never tried to freeze a piece of meat with a RUB on it, NOW THATS INTERESTING......... Good luck.[p]Troy

• Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Sounds like it is worth trying! Sure would save some time...just make bigger batches of marinades. Glad to hear someone else has experienced good results with that method.[p]I have frozen stuff with rubs. But just for 3 hours when I use the flash-freeze/low smoke technique. I don't see why it would hurt to freeze rubbed meat. Maybe when it thaws, it sucks some of the flavors in. Pretty scientific.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Try it, you'll love it. The method should be most helpful to your cooking style. Once the meat/marinade/rub freeze solid marination and flavoring stops until thawed. I marinate, wipe off, rub, and then freeze (vacuum sealed). [p]Here's a steak tip. Marinate as you normally would. Wipe off a add any rub. Cool the meat in the freezer. Use your EGG to add a light cool smoke flavor and then freeze for later use. Freezer to grill smoke flavored great steak. It works. Make the steaks up in batches (on sale).[p]Spin

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    sprinter,
    Andria's makes just about the best beef tenderloin steaks you can get at any restaurant. They're not BGE stuff but seared on a very hot grill. Anyway their marinade is great on steaks, burgers or just about anything. They make a vinaigrette salad dressing that is nothing short of awesome on a mixed greens or spinach salad.[p]They do ship the marinade and the salad dressing by the case. You can reach them with this number.[p] Andria's
    6813 Old Collinsville Rd
    O'Fallon IL 62269
    618-632-3118[p]JimW[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]I have done this before just as your sister-in-law has. Pleased with the results. Two thoughts for consideration: First, package with a Foodsaver to eliminate air and create better contact of residual marinate and meat. Once marinated food is packaged, let it rest in the refrigerator (in the coldest spot) for a day to allow marinate to penetrate.[p]I do not have a Foodsaver, but just using a little logic. Plan on getting one soon. One that allows stopping of the vaccum at will might be best for this type of freezing.[p]Any thoughts from Foodsaver experts?

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Just been walking this around in my head for a while. I have come up with two possible explanations. (Lots of room in there you know.)[p]For those analyticals among us:
    Maybe as the natural moisture in the meat expands during freezing, it helps open up the cells and tissues in the meat. Then, when thawing occurs, it allows the meat to marinade more throughly. Perhaps actually drawing the marinade into the tissues.[p]For those of us who don't care why, but just simply that it does:
    It could just be P.F.M. (Pure Fun and Magic).[p]Just a thought,
    Bryan[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bryan,
    Magic maybe! I like your explanation. Who knows why, but that sounds logical. Anyway, looks like many have agreed that it is do-able, and nobody raised any big red flags, so I will give it a shot. Country Ribs and Chops shall me "mass-marinated" and frozen tomorrow. Thanks.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]My friend, your logic is solid and you need to get a foodsaver. The difference between a "daisey" and a commercial grade vacuum sealer is vacuum ability (quality of evacuation prior to sealing) and bagging material (quality of endurance of the seal and bagging material). The foodsaver has proved itself for us. I have used the product for more than 5 years and I am still amazed. I hate to endorse a product, but it works.[p]Spin